Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Is the song "Rocket Man" inspired by Ray Bradbury?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the song "Rocket Man" inspired by Ray Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted
The song "Rocket Man" by Elton john just has to be inspired by the RB song of the same name. I think it is anyway. But I've been unable to uncover anything definitive that says that it is or it isn't.

The story is the same in the song and the story; it's about a rocketman and his wife, who both yearn for each other when he's away doing his job in space. So it's about rockets and outer space, but it's mostly the comfort of home and family, and the feeling of longing, and, ultimately disaster, sadness and what it means to wish upon a star (the last few things are in the story but not in the song). The song does a great job of capturing not only the story, but more importantly the mood and the feeling of the story.

Has anybody here read any interviews with RB or EJ that can settle this question of mine? I'd like to know for sure!

Posts: 31 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will get a lot of people telling you that OF COURSE it's based on the Bradbury story - but I doubt if anyone will give any specific citation to prove it.

First thing to bear in mind: Elton John only wrote the music; the lyrics to ROCKET MAN are by Bernie Taupin.

I've looked through a number of Taupin interviews, and have yet to find any mention of Bradbury. Sam Weller's book THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES has a chapter-heading quotation from Taupin about what he was trying to do when he wrote the song - but the quotation does NOT include any statement about it being influenced by Bradbury.

The Wikipedia entry for the song cites Elizabeth Rosenthal's HIS SONG: THE MUSICAL JOURNEY OF ELTON JOHN, but says merely that Taupin was influenced by seeing a shooting star.

But here is something unequivocal: Bernie Taupin speaking about the specific influences on the song. Scroll down till you see "Rocket Man", then click on the little play button to the left:

http://www.berniejtaupin.com/discography.bt

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Debbie Ridpath Ohi's "Homecoming" song is also inspired by Ray Bradbury's "The Rocket Man".

http://debbieohi.com/urban-tap...ury-short-story.html

Bless her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes...in Bernie Taupin's own voice:

quote:
"...and also from Ray Bradbury's short story from The Illustrated Man, called appropriately, 'The Rocket Man'..."

Proof enough for me.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post