Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Meeting in Waukegan
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meeting in Waukegan
 Login/Join

posted
I've been thinking alot about making a sort of pilgrimage to Waukegan in the near future. I just want to see it and experience it after reading so much about it. I think its about 12-15 hours away. What I was thinking was that anyone within a reasonable driving distance who is on these boards, could all meet there on a certain date every year in appreciation of Ray. Do they have a Ray Bradbury appreciation day there? Say October 31 perhaps. I think it would be so cool to meet at the Ravine or the library and just experience it totally. I'm serious. What do you all think?

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds great. All you midwesterners could probably make a daytrip out of it, but it would be really hard for us on the west coast.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have had Ray Bradbury appreciation days in Waukegan at least twice, but not regularly. The first one was on Halloween.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grasstains, we could do simulcast with the half at the ravine and half out west, maybe even with Ray somewhere. It could be a big celebration of the new book. May be a cool p.r. coup. Either way, I'm serious about this, I'm going into research mode. Now hooking into city's innerworkings, calculating all probable outcomes...

What do you all think? What about a date? I think we owe it to ourselves and Ray to do something BIG! Besides, it would be cool to watch the snowball get bigger. We should organize and go into team play.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am all for anything celebrating Ray in any location.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a firm date set for when the book will be out? That may be the day.

I just looked on the Waukegan official page. There's nothing listed in upcoming events. I sent a nice e-mail asking if they have a R.B. appreciation day, if not would they be willing to have one and who would be the right source or sources to get the ball rolling. I mentioned the new book coming out also. Will let everyone know of any response I get.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-11-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-11-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
I'm in, Robot Lincoln. It would only be a 2 or 3 hour drive for me. Maybe we can get Sam Weller there too, since he's in Chicago.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be the ultimate! Having Sam join us would be great! Lets do it! I have been going to a star party every year in October for the past ten years in Land Between The Lakes(Ky./Tenn. border), but this will supersede that by far. I don't know if anyone out there is into Astronomy, but I am bigtime. I have a 12.5" Dobsonian telescope. Maybe we could fit a little stargazing into the agenda at night if its clear. How cool would that be, gazing at the stars through a telescope overlooking the Ravine! Just a thought. Or maybe we could take turns reading R.B. stories around a roaring fire. During the day, explore the town and shoreline! We're gonna do this! I will let you know what I hear from the chamber of commerce, they should send a reply soon. Thanks Imskipper & all!!!

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Hey all, I received a response today from the director of public relations and marketing of the city of Waukegan. Here is what he had to say.

A very timely question. We are actually working toward this goal for the fall of 2006. I will forward your messaage on to Elizabeth Stearns at the Waukegan Library for follow-up on the event and any additional details. Thanks for the interest. David Motley

I wrote him back to thank him for the quick response and told him there was a number of people interested on the Ray Bradbury boards about this event. How exciting! Imskipper, maybe you should get a hold of Mr. Weller. Bi-plane, you may want to tell Ray of this special event and see if he would consider another flight! Just a thought.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Hey, Bot, kudos for your dilligence!
Wish I could get out that way...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got another e-mail from David. He said they just had a meeting this morning regarding this very subject. The town council is working with the library for a Ray Bradbury themed October culminating in a story telling at the Genesee Theatre! He thanked me for my enthusiasm and said he would keep me posted and hopes to see me there. I responded that several people on the boards talk with Ray regularly and that it would be awesome if he were to be there. I said it would probably be a slim chance though. I also said that someone had mentioned Sam Weller as a possible guest as well. Can you beleive this, I am so excited about this. Braling, I think its shaping up to be a spectacular event. I wish you can make it there. I'd like to shake your hand! And anyone else who can make it. This thing is starting to show signs of magic! As this solidifies, Ray should be made known of what they are planning, after all Dandelion Wine began in Greentown.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-13-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-13-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Oh, boy, another trip to take!

posted Hide Post
cool beans! l.a.'s a great town but this time, its Greentown's turn in the limelight.
I'll be the one wearing a stovetop hat.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 03-14-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Exciting new news everyone. Both the councilman David, and the librarian, Elizabeth, wrote me e-mails today. They said Ray is excited but probably will not attend in person, they are going to do a video presentation hosted by Sam Weller. They said Sam will also be an important part of the festival observance the day of. The date they gave was Fri. Oct. 20th. None of this is posted on their websites and they said they would keep me posted as things are added or anything changes. Great minds think alike, hehe. I already got my trip tics and bought a book on the history of Waukegan.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
Dude, you rock. Celebrate the things you love.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post