Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ray's work
 Login/Join

posted
ray bradbury has written many great short stories.

I was just wondering if has written any on the increase of technology in our society?

plz reply if u kno of any ..thanks

Posts: 7 | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, in some circles Mr. Bradbury is known as an anti-science fiction writer because his technology(science) is usually a "bad thing". He often wrote cautionary tales which ask the question, "At what cost?"

His story THE VELDT is a good example. It can be found in the collection THE ILLUSTRATED MAN along with several other of his best stories.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 03-06-2005).]

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I have the story title right There Will Come Soft Rains. This is about A house that lived beyond its inhabitants, and its own demise. A dual commentary on the spoils of technology. A Sound of Thunder is an excellent example of mans meddling, and times eventual fallout due to a "small" misstep. Both are good examples of technology run amok...

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His short story "The Murderer" is another excellent example of this theme.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The City" is a great story of a city that uses weapons of mass destruction to destroy mankind in an act of revenge -- this after the passage of some huge period of time. Talk about technology gone amock!!!!!

In real life, though; Bradbury's love and support of the Space Program have got to show that he does not simply hate technology.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This right out of the story to which Mr. Dark alludes:
http://msnbc.msn.com/ID/7480239/

...the City waited 20,000 years to get even.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presently in the middle of a major unit of RB, I have assigned approximately 30 s.s.(+included will be MC & 451). I have begun to utilize the 5 dvd set, RB Theater. This is the first time I have had such an extensive visual representation of his works to accompany readings and discussions. The students have immediatley taken to all aspects of his works.
We have read orally I.M. Prologue, Fog Horn and April Witch. More to come... This an upper level class, the students are captivated as I glance up during portions of the readings. Discussion today on "The City" with the pandemic concern (above link) at the center of the exchange!

We are also viewing "portions" of I.M. with Steiger & Bloom. A few days ago, students were given copies of MC assigned for spring break (next week). Majority are well into it or already done. Mr. Bradbury's writing suffers none from generation barriers. It is always current, better yet "cutting edge!"

The dvd episodes look good and, since he had his hand directly in the mix, stay extremely true to the stories. What a pleasure!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is amazing and exciting that Ray's work seems absolutely unlimited by generational boundaries.

I've enjoyed the RB Theater DVDs, also.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury Day - April 18, 2005 !! Read below:

Monday, April 18 Is Ray Bradbury Day in Chicago

CHICAGO, April 14 /PRNewswire/ --

STORY WEEK EPILOGUE: RAY BRADBURY DAY, Monday, April 18
6 pm (5 pm doors) Harold Washington Library Auditorium, 400 S. State
Presented by the Columbia College Chicago Fiction Writing Department and
the Chicago Public Library, this program is made possible in part by a
grant from the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency. Free, open to the
public.

Mayor Richard M. Daley has proclaimed Monday, April 18, 2005 RAY BRADBURY
DAY IN CHICAGO. Chicagoans are invited to celebrate the genius of literary
legend Ray Bradbury and the release of his authorized biography, The Bradbury
Chronicles by local journalist Sam Weller. The event features:

- A live telephone Q&A with Ray Bradbury from his home in L.A.
- Readings from Bradbury's work by Harbor Lit Theater Company. Music by
Kirk Brown.
- Conversation with Sam Weller and Donna Seaman (Booklist and WLUW Open
Books)

Born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, IL, RAY BRADBURY astonished the world
with such timeless classics as Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, and
Dandelion Wine. The award-winning writer has produced 700 stories, 30 books,
and many plays, verses, and scripts. He has contributed more to pop culture
than any other author. At 84, he still writes everyday.

OTHER FACTS ABOUT RAY

- In 1971, Apollo 15 astronauts named a moon crater "Dandelion Crater"
for Bradbury's novel Dandelion Wine
- Ray wrote the screenplay for Moby Dick directed by John Huston. He has
written TV scripts for Alfred Hitchcock and Twilight Zone. As a teen,
he stalked George Burns and sold him a radio gag.
- He helped design Walt Disney World's Epcot Center
- He never learned to drive and his one vice is ice cream

SAM WELLER heard his first Ray Bradbury story while still in his mother's
womb. His father read The Illustrated Man to the pregnant Mrs. Weller. At age
10, Sam began reading Bradbury and never stopped. In 2000, he met his literary
hero while writing a story for Chicago Tribune Magazine. His first book was
Secret Chicago. The award-winning journalist is former Midwest editor for
Publisher's Weekly and has written for NPR and various publications. He
teaches writing at Columbia College and lives in Chicago with his wife and
baby daughter.

Public Contact: 312-344-7611 Fiction Writing Dept.
http://storyweek.colum.edu

SOURCE Columbia College Chicago
Web Site: http://storyweek.colum.edu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard that Ray Bradbury says he's only written one science fiction book. I think it shows in "Something Wicked..." that he is more of a fantasy writer than a science fiction writer. I love how he has a little bit of everything in his stories.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its very interesting the way the Ray Bradbury is so against technology. Personally i think its a wonderful thing. Maybe its just his old fashioned way of thinking that creates the hate against technology.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that Bradbury is "so against" technology. He simply shows humans at the epitomy of their darkness. Bradbury shows us what technology can do if it goes too far. However, he also shows us how technology can be wonderful as in "The Rocket" (in The Illustrated Man). You should read it, like I said, it shows a softer, more pleasing picture of technology and how it can be used for good. Again, I think Bradbury shows us that humanity is dark and is warning us not to go too far. We should thank him for the cautionary tales told with such vividness!

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is ray really that against technology? I mean, he claims not to use it or let it guide him, but where did his web site come from and I wonder if he uses a cordless phone? All examples of technology. Even a push button fun is technology. Besides, he writes storys about time machines even though the out come is "bad" but is it our perception of bad because if a language is changed is that a bad thing or just something different?

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should refer to funmow's post to answer your question. And this site is not really "his". It's created by Harper Collins. The man doesn't even own a computer, so he never looks at the site.

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post