Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    My perspective on Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My perspective on Ray
 Login/Join

posted
First off let me say that I am new here. My class has read two of his books. I do see him as not a bad author but he is not one of my favorites. I personally like how he came up with futuristic technology when he wrote Fahrenheit 451. He wrote about technology that was ahead of his time. Well I hope to hear from people and there thoughts.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi xXRaddMannXx, and welcome. Bradbury did come up with technology that was ahead of its time, but what do you think of the way he showed that technology? He doesn't seem to approve of it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The concerns RB writes of in 451, Pedestrian, Exiles, and Into the Chicago Abyss, are creeping upon us. Only via the turning of pages can we be assured the lights will be kept on and, in time, actually become brighter.

"It was a pleasure to burn." This line starts the novel. But, flame is not really needed. That's the greatest irony.

A question to our young visitors would be: What did the Nazis and Communists have in common in the most recent 100yrs. in getting their movements into high gear? Answer: Propaganda at its extreme and book burnings for all to see. When the tots grow up with this as their Way, there is no need for matches.

Keep reading, guys and gals. You are doing great by expressing your ideas!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He may not approve of it, but I do. The technology is ahead of his time. I personally like the technology, it shows that he thought outside of the box when he wrote the book. Parlor wall TVs and the police in the Pedestrian. I have only read Fahrenheit 451 and the Pedestrian. I have only read these two because of English class. You probably know this already due to my other classmates having to do this too. But in all I think we all can love his technology he used in his books and his creative imagination.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best anti-technology Bradbury story may be "The Murderer" which depicts the uphill battle fought by a man against technology which has truly eliminated the possibility of having peace and quiet, alone.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post