Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

technology
 Login/Join

posted
Bradbury's novel Fahrenheit 451 along with many other science fiction stories always gets me thinking about the future. Every day we discover new technology and we change things. Like take the computer for instance. Every year they come out with something brand new for it. Whether it be more space or smaller size, it all goes back to the increase of technology. If science fiction stories have taught me anything it would have to be that if technology keeps enhancing then eventually technology will overtake us. It will take control and it will destroy us. That is our future, it may happen in different ways but it will happen. We have no fate unless we realize what these authors and film makers are saying. Movies are to give you a lesson, no matter what kind of movie it is there is a lesson involved. Fahrenheit 451 is exactly the same. In the future books are no longer important and television has taken charge. Mildred's life is based off television and she can't stop it. Many people have already experienced this through big screen tvs and satelite. There's no denying it, humans need technology.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 06 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

RESOURCES

...seems to be jammed!!! (like this is news!)

Trying to access RESOURCES or post there is about impossible.

The New York publisher in charge of the website needs to unjam the log jam and get things rolling again . Hopefully this will get done by Tuesday afternoon or evening...

_______

Thanks

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, was that an anti-technology rant? Sounds more like an anti-not-properly-tended-to-technology rant!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we all know what the REAL "Fahrenheit" is!

How about some "real" Golden Apples of the Sun? It doesn't get any better than this!!

See: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/09/06/genesis.return.cnn/index.html

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some quarters Bradbury is considered and referred to as an "Anti-Science Fiction" author, because the science(technology) in his stories is almost always a bad thing.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure this has been mentioned, but a trailor for Sound of Thunder can be viewed here: Seeing is believing- http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5681

Fall '04 release is scheduled.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-08-2004).]

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
A real BIG "OOPS!" for Genesis: http://www.cnn.com/

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-08-2004).]

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
I just read that one myself before coming here. You must have AOL as well. It's on my welcome screen.

They say the information on the discs may have been lost even if the chute opened anyway. That's NASA for you.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-08-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atleast they didn't try to pass it off as a "weather balloon".

posted Hide Post
CRRASSH! Reports say the 'disc' is the size of a refrigerator. Funny thing to say of something carrying some of the sun.
_______

fjpalumbo:
Franchise Pictures, company that made 'Sound of Thunder', filed bankruptcy. No more flix from them. 'Sound of Thunder' is still in limbo pertaining to release date from what I heard.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHAT!
No golden apples?

posted Hide Post
Thanks on Thunder, Nard. In limbo even though Warner Bros. is the studio of production!?? The trailor actually doesn't look too bad. Any technical info on line about this status?

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
Translator:

I'm curious as to how many of these high- schoolers in Lemont, Illinois, are from Lithuania. There is a large community of families from Lithuania, and many are new to the United States. I also don't think many even know who Bradbury is because no books have been translated into Lithuanian that I know. I have never come across such a book.

So, tho their questions may seem a bit simple, I'd say that Ray Bradbury is a new discovery to many of them, and to many other things as well...

posted Hide Post
Ray bradybury would not be a very happy man if he knew about how much technology we have these days.Even though there are books around today still he would not like to see how many peole dont read them as much.Although alot of peole read books still the majority of the younger population doesn't read boks half as much as they watch t.v and go on the coputer.

Posts: 4 | Location: illinois | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gs, NK: I just read s.s. Golden Apples of the Sun with a class of students. We then called up yesterday's Genesis pics and info on the computer and had them displayed on a tv screen. The words of RB are amazingly paralleled to the events that came to a dramatic conclusion in the Utah desert. Give the story a re-visit and see if you don't agree. Any new word on the precious 'golden apples'?

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-09-2004).]

fpalumbo