Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Who inspired Ray?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who inspired Ray?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Get a copy of "Fancies and Goodnights" by John Collier, intro by Bradbury. That will answer a lot of your questions.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask, I enjoyed that book very much, but the copy I got from the library had no introduction. Would you be willing to summarize?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RB has said that the interstitial chapters in Steinback's The Grapes of Wrath (the short vignettes that don't involve the main characters) inspired similar interstitial chapters between the main chapters in The Martian Chronicles.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow, thanks. So I didn't just imagine it because I see Bradbury everyplace.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hemingway's novel, "In Our Time" had this same kind of inter-chapters. RB has frequently mentioned Hemingway as one of his favorite authors.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
If I could say one author in particular, I'd say Edgar Rice Burroughs, because Burroughs got to him while he was still in his formative stage, as a child. Bradbury has said that at that age he would write sequels to Burroughs' Martian stories, so I would cite that important inspiration perhaps more than others...

EBR is soon to be available in stamp form. (They went with Tarzan rather than John Carter, I see. If the forthcoming movie is a hit, they may regret that decision.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are an ERB fan or scholar, you will probably enjoy actor David Stifel's podcasts of public domain Burroughs classics: http://marsbooks.libsyn.com/

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post