Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Who inspired Ray?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who inspired Ray?
 Login/Join

posted
Yeah, just wondering, considering I'm doing a research paper on his bio, I can't find what influenced his writing, but I heard he had enjoyed the early 20s and 30s movies (King Kong...) stuff like that...
Just out of curiousity, what DID influence the way he writes? Has his influences changed over the years?

Whoever can help me, thanks a bunch. Helps a lot!

Also, I've been writing a biographical sketch about him that includes important pieces of information...
Just wanted to know if there is any interesting pieces of information that nobody can find anywhere else?

If ya can, post here.
Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: abr71310,

This is life. It sucks. Same with my signature.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had to name just ONE of "too many to mention," Ray said "Shaw continually" was the one author he kept going back to.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read that Ray likes Steinbeck, which puzzles me because I can't read Steinbeck at all. I'd like to know why Ray likes Steinbeck. It seems to me like they are polar opposites.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it's Bernard Shaw??

Well thanks for that dandelion, I'll put that in...

What I read in his bios is that he was fascinated by movies like Hunchback of Notre Dame, King Kong, and The Phantom of the Opera...

Is my research correct or is it all blasphemy???

posted Hide Post
If you read his books, you'll find Mr. Bradbury honours many of those who've influenced him; among whom are Poe, Mellville, Wolfe, Dickens, Hemmingway...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, read "The Exiles" (from Illustrated Man) with pen and paper at hand, and you will get a roster of major influencial authors. BII has hit upon a few of above.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abr71310: What I read in his bios is that he was fascinated by movies like Hunchback of Notre Dame, King Kong, and The Phantom of the Opera...

He loves films and fall!

He had 14 years in Green Town, IL. Fourteen Octobers. His mother took him from the crib to see the movies several times a week. He says she was "a fiend" about the cinema. As he grew older, he caught the film fever and went with friends or by himself – as many as five or six times a week.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray has attributed a lot of authors as having influenced him. As suggested above, The Exiles is a good starting place. I imagine he cites more influences in his book, Zen and the Art of Writing. I don't have access to the books right now, but he has been influenced by many, and generously acknowledges them.

As to why he would like Steinbeck, I think Steinbeck has a style that is deceitfully simple (like Bradbury's). There is more to Steinbeck's stories than the surface would lead you to believe. In that, he is similar to (or imitative of) Hemingway--another writer Bradbury cites as an influence.

I think, also, that Bradbury would appreciate Steinbeck's focus on the question of what man is against society (i.e., In Dubious Battle) and Steinbeck's observations that man is defined, at least in part, by his relationships (i.e., Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, etc.). Bradbury deals with these themes throughout his writing.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could say one author in particular, I'd say Edgar Rice Burroughs, because Burroughs got to him while he was still in his formative stage, as a child. Bradbury has said that at that age he would write sequels to Burroughs' Martian stories, so I would cite that important inspiration perhaps more than others.

Shaw to be certain, but that came later in life.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In at least one interview from the 1980s, Ray specifically identified some female writers that influenced him. Two of these were Willa Cather and Eudora Welty. There may be others, but I can't remember them just now.

He has also mentioned Shakespeare quite a few times, particularly as influencing his plays and his screenplay for Moby Dick. (His plays and forthcoming novel Leviathan 99 also have a Shakespearean influence.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great chapter in Green Shadow, White Whale on GB Shaw! Also, Gerard Manley Hopkins. How about Philip Francis Nowlan? Mr. Bradbury did a "fabulous" introduction in the collected comics strips of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. If you have read it, you know what I mean.

SEE: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Collected-Works-of-Buck-Rogers-...947#ebayphotohosting

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow two days and all of this controversy

Thanks guys, helps alot!

So, it's Bernard Shaw and Edgar Rice Burroughs?

posted Hide Post
Ray either loves an author or hates them.

Loves Shaw, hates T. S. Eliot.

I guess he loves Steinbeck. There was a little bit of "The Grapes of Wrath," the description of the remote diner in the desert, which reminded me of "The Martian Chronicles," otherwise can't say as I see it.

Ray seems to name many more authors he loves than hates. Jules Verne is a major love.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think, also, that Bradbury would appreciate Steinbeck's focus on the question of what man is against society (i.e., In Dubious Battle) and Steinbeck's observations that man is defined, at least in part, by his relationships (i.e., Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, etc.). Bradbury deals with these themes throughout his writing.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Mr. Dark. It's not that I don't respect Steinbeck as a writer, it's just that I don't like to read it. It's a personal preference. But I have been pondering for a long time what the connection could be, since their writing styles seem so different.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well thanks guys for all your help, I'm printing off the final paper now, really appreciate the input!