Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Wickedly spoken

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wickedly spoken
 Login/Join

posted
Hey so Mr. Bradbury uses all of this weird and sometimes confusing languages. I mean they are all in english, but he uses big words that make a word seem like it means somethign else, when he clearly meant it only one way. Opinions please??

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not quite sure what word (words) you might be speaking of. I have been reading Ray's works for well over 40 years and have been amazed that he can create a sentence that has fifty words in it and that it flows so beautifully. Can you provide some examples of the words you aren't understanding as I can't recall any.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. The phrases he used to describe things sometimes are very confusing. He'll use words to describe an object or a person that really having nothing to do with anything. Its amazing.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray is very good at using hefty descriptions but they are not at all hard to understand. I have been reading Ray for 30 days and I have yet to see where the words are confusing. Now I can see where you could be confused from some of his sentence structure.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that his sentences are only confusing when he makes them really long. It's almost as if he is making run-on sentences and yet they still make sence. I don't think the he uses that big of words that someone couldn't understand them.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an example Asunder. But now it's not such a bad word Big Grin. I looked it up...

Posts: 44 | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I read anything by Ray was ninth grade. I read that wonderful book, Fahrenheit 451. I loved it then, and recently had a chance to re-read it. Again, I loved it. I also fell in love with his style and decided that my summer project/goal this year was to read everything I could. I have been at it for almost two weeks and have almost completed two full books. Dandelion Wine and The Illustrated Man. Both of which I have loved reading. Neither of which I found remotely difficult to understand. I agree with others, that his word and sentence structure choices are sometimes lengthy but not difficult. I find myself in his world whenever I delve into another story or piece of experience! I sincerely enjoy his imagination and relish putting down a book for something more drudgerous like school work or life!

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Mr. Bradbury makes some of his writing seem complicated. It makes me think harder about what he's saying. His writing would'nt be the same to me if it was a simpler style.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you meaning "disencumbered", "filltrated",
"Criminently" ? Those are big words Michelle.

Kali

Posts: 15 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the thing that makes it hard to understand is how he jumps form one person to the other and you have to read it a couple of times to really know whos saying what.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VC20 and friends: As you become familiar with Mr. Bradbury's style, you realize that is his unique way of adding to the tone or pace of his tales. I still need to read passages over again, even though I may have read them several times before and at different times in my life.

To a newcomer, this may seem unnecessary or even confusing. However, the more you read of him, the more you will come to appreciate the nuances of his methods. Read his philosopies on composition in Zen in the Art of Writing, a must for inspiration and sticktoitiveness if you are an upcoming or ongoing writer.

Sometimes, half the fun of selecting one of his works off from the bookcase (when a quiet hour ensues after a long day) is to open up randomly -or to a favorite passage- and simply enjoy the ride he offers. Where? To Mars, Green Town, Ireland, Deep Space, Carnivals, Hollywood...but ultimately to within yourself, closer to the feelings his writings evoke!

So, read carefully and listen to the words he has selected and the characters he has painted. The more you get to know them, the better it gets.

(Funmow, Nice post.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well put, fjp!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post