Ray Bradbury Forums
What I remember

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/2177049616

14 June 2012, 09:45 PM
indepsys
What I remember
I realize that this is a very late posting, but it has to be said. On June 5th 2012 the world lost a great author, dreamer, and human being. Ray Bradbury left us and we can never fill that void. In a day and age that genius is measured in product and process, we have forgotten that it was the dreamers that push us to do better, reach farther, and overcome our differences.
I had the great and unforgettable experience to correspond with Mr. Bradbury when I was very young, and I will always remember what it meant to me. I was writing a paper on one of his works and thought that I would write him, fully knowing that I would get a form letter in return. To my unbelievable surprise, I got a hand written response from the man himself. In that response, he answered my questions and finished by giving me some invaluable advice. Mr. Bradbury said that I should always remember to imagine, envision, and work for a better world. I will never forget.
To this day I believe that this view is what will propel us into a new and bright future.
Mr. Bradbury passed without international fanfare, without nightly news stories, and ultimately, a whisper. There were no Hollywood deals mentioned, no community gatherings, and no cries of mourning from the world. He did not build a better computer. He did not create a device we cannot live without. He created something much more. A belief that we must create a future that is better than ourselves. I live my life by his philosophy. I cried for his passing, and still do. He was one of the best of us. He gave to us an understanding of what could happen, and what could be.
Thank you, Mr. Bradbury. Thank you for giving us the gift of your writings and your soul. I mourn for the world and am, at the same time, grateful for the gift that you have left us. At least, as far as I am worth, I will always try to imagine a better future for my children and theirs.