Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    I don't get it
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't get it
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guitargirl116:
Technology especially now in today's society has improved and will keep improving as far as I know. Maybe for teenagers to read this it would be good and teach us good values at one perhaps. Maybe we would spend more time with family instead of our phones or iPods etc. there is one thing I got it of the 2 stories we read in class.

You might also try "The Veldt" to save a few parents getting thrown to the lions.

quote:
I'm also sorry myself for posting in the wrong place dandelion.

That's okay, in your case and the other I don't think it was intentional, just that that thread happened to be on top. Remarks were directed at the person who posted after my post expressly asking not to and pointing out where to post.

quote:
We all have different opinions by I'd like to say thank you for those who don't automatically Judge us for our honest opinions. Goodnight all!

You're welcome, on not having your honest opinion judged, and thank you for recognizing that no one's honest opinion has been judged here, and certainly not by me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They very likely won't get it, but the most appropriate Bradbury story for this class is almost certainly "Night Call, Collect."

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
davidafshar, thanks for your very wise post. You should be on here more often!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello again!
Thank you for the book suggestions, i will have to ask my teacher about it. What is the "Veldt" about,if i may ask? I also heard someone on here menchin a book called "The Night Call Collect" i believe? That book sounds pretty interesting. I honestly did not mean to post in the wrong place. I simply chose a topic and posted my opinion to start a discussion, not a war, so no hard feelings. I also know you think that some of us may not understand or have interest in these books and maybe never will but maybe when we're older we will. We read a short story the other day and were analyzing some character traits of the characters in the story. She told us that we as teens think we know our interests and probably think that they will never change. She told us that she guarantees our interests and personality will change over time, even if it is by the slightest bit. So please, don't give up on us yet. Over time we could like Ray's books in the future,you never know.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Thanks to those of you who posted kind words about my post. I'll try to be more active here as philnic has suggested.)

To answer guitargirl16's question, at least partially, "The Veldt" is a short story that concerns itself with virtual reality and the effect it has on a family. I don't want to give too much more away because it's such an excellent story that deserves to be experienced for itself. You can find it in Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man" or an any number of Bradbury collections. I highly recommend checking it out; it is, in my opinion, one of Bradbury's best, most chilling stories.

"Night Call, Collect," I'm afraid I don't remember, though I imagine I've read it. I'm sure someone else could help you out with that one.

Posts: 37 | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidafshar:
"Night Call, Collect," I'm afraid I don't remember, though I imagine I've read it. I'm sure someone else could help you out with that one.

Short story, set on Mars but not in The Martian Chronicles. It can be found in I Sing the Body Electric! It has a similar theme to "Season of Disbelief" from Dandelion Wine (good story but I struggle with the ending) and the novel Farewell Summer: young people, think about how you treat older people as you will be older someday.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guitargirl116:
Hello again!
Thank you for the book suggestions, i will have to ask my teacher about it. What is the "Veldt" about,if i may ask? I also heard someone on here menchin a book called "The Night Call Collect" i believe? That book sounds pretty interesting. I honestly did not mean to post in the wrong place. I simply chose a topic and posted my opinion to start a discussion, not a war, so no hard feelings.

No, no hard feelings. I knew the first post was simply because the topic was on top. It was those who kept it up after being asked not to with barbs pointed straight at me to whom I referred.

Hope I didn't make a spoiler for "The Veldt." Read and all will become clear.

posted Hide Post
Sunshine64, when I first read this post I agreed with you one hundred percent that Ray Bradbury was not an inspiring author. I did not understand why people thought he was so great. After being on this message board throughout the week though, my opinion on him has changed. While he might not have inspired me personally with his books and stories, I can certainly tell he has inspired many others. I learned many things about him that without the regulars that post on this message board, I would have never known. They definitely are to thank for my new outlook on Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
limegreen, that's good to hear! There have been many times in my life when I haven't "got" something (might be a film, might be a book), but listening to others explain what THEY see in it has caused me to re-evaluate. Sometimes they are persuasive, sometimes not, but it is good to listen and be open to alternative points of view.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Night Call, Collect":

This story is about a man who is all alone on the planet Mars. He sets up a system of telephone answering machines and records messages on them, so that he will always have voices to listen to.

As the years pass, the now old man hears the messages from his younger self.

It's an unusual story, and quite improbable/impossible, but very clever and powerful.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I totally didn't get "Invisible Boy" the first time I read it and found no real value in "The Other Foot" but found great appreciation on later readings of them and others read more than once. "Powerhouse" I completely did not understand at thirteen and now it is an alltime favorite!