Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray was the inspiration for this poem

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray was the inspiration for this poem
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings to fellow Bradbury fans and others who may visit this site:

Hadn't sent Ray a timely birthday greeting this year so dashed off the following poem for his 88th and sent it to him belatedly.

Realized in re-reading it, that though it is inspired by him, it is not "addressed" to him so, after being a guest reader on these forums for years, I decided to join and post the poem in the hope that those here who are also thankful for Ray and his writings, and others who are seeking to learn about him, might enjoy reading it (as I enjoyed writing it).

The Bradbury Effect

The incalculable wonder of his stories
That turns grand old men into boys again,
And wistful older women to girls,
That gives boys visions of the men they'll be,
And girls dreams of the women within them.

The mysterious magic of his tales
That twists time, travels space,
Conquers fear and ignorance anywhere in the galaxy
And still gets you home in time for dinner.

Dandelion, Something Wicked, 451, Martian Chronicles...
Read them! Keep them close no matter what the day may bring.
Cherish these words of the boy from Illinois
Who kept faith with the author he would become,
And recognize the child inside yourself who believes in you.

Not the Bradbury Butterfly Effect.
Not quantum action or anything quantifiable.
No algebra of equations, linear or non-linear.
But yes, a metaphoric mirror.
Look into Ray's words and see your own soul.
Be touched by the Bradbury Effect and pass it on:
Real adventure in an imaginary world!

Walt Gottesman
8/22/2008

(Not sure how the Italics tags would work for the fragments of Ray's titles in the above, so I didn't use them).

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 21 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Walt,

Forget Italics tags...with or without them your words are heard loud and clear. Yes, the Bradbury Effect, that is what we all strive to feel when we read Mr. Bradbury. Those of us on this site have felt your "Bradbury Effect" and it has compelled us to express our thoughts and feelings...Thank you for your wondrous poem and albeit, Mr. Bradbury's face may blush but I believe a sly grin may cross his face in response.
Thank you,

Paul

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A wonderful poem, Walt. Thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Have you gotten around to getting that picture-taking-box over for, oh what's the word, developing yet? Smiler

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not yet, John. We Luddites are pretty slow about such things! And besides, my picture-taking-box still has a couple of pictures left on it to take! Smiler

Posts: 2473 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Not yet, John. We Luddites are pretty slow about such things! And besides, my picture-taking-box still has a couple of pictures left on it to take! Smiler

I understand. However, the next time you visit you owe me a soda for the $25 rebate check. Wink

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments above!

It's good to learn of others here who also appreciate Ray Bradbury, not just for the artistry of his words, the independence of his mind, and the power of his good-humored personality, but for his rare generosity of spirit.

For decades he has personally responded to so many of us, his fans from all walks of life. And even now, at 88, he is still writing and still speaking publicly, encouraging creativity and expression in others. He is a national treasure and a remarkable man.

Best wishes to Ray and to fellow R.B. fans,

Walt

"Stay on the Path."
Travis in: A Sound of Thunder

Posts: 21 | Location: A town still green in Illinois | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post