Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    All School Read

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All School Read
 Login/Join

posted
Yeah, 1900 kids reading the same book over the summer. CRAZY! Everyone at my high school did, and then we had a board of 4 teachers, and kids could ask questions, but everyone was debating different topics, and a lot of people didnt get to talk, so im going to see if I can get people together again in a different setup. The last comment made by a student was "With all of the attention around everyone in Montag's world being fed certain information by the media and in schools, its kindof ironic that you decided to force us to read the book. Was that intentional?" to which the board responded "She will be taken out back and shot." and everyone went to lunch. (But really, its so cool that people really wanted to discuss the book, it made us THINK!)

There's a lot of reason for the cryptic and obscure, for words can never convey the truth nor communicate understanding.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell me I wasn't this dumb in school.

On second thought...

dumbness has increased the complexity.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The post is too obscure for me, but the last thought is interesting--that words can never convey the truth nor communicate understanding. What does that mean, actually? I think there is some partial truth to this in religious discussions. We are using language (a finite tool) to discuss God (an infinite reality). However, words CAN be used to point us in the direction of truth.

I don't understand the quote about being taken out back and shot and then going to lunch. Was that meant to be ironic?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember reading it in high school and being amazed that the same school that regurgitated so much crap in mindless packaging managed to have F451 on the curriculum! How did that happen!? Needlesss to say I was pleased!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post