Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tattoo
 Login/Join

posted
When I was a boy, 10 years of age, I went into my basement. Inside were boxes full of bookls, I mean books, and books, my father was a collector. He read fanatically in his younger years, and all these books from his youth, the Vietnam era are right here. I start looking, and I started organizing the books. I found one with a very unique cover, I picked it up and looked at it, and I thought it was absolutely amazing.

I tried reading the book. It was hard, I was in fourth grade, but I struggled through the thing, not making much sense, but it was strangely beautifull.

Well, this was thirteen years ago. As a man I have rtead the book again, and it is still full of magic. And, as a man, I am a becoming a novelist. I am almost done with a four year Army tour, and I have a publishing contract for a novel I created.

The book was Ray Bradbury's "Long After Midnight" I believe this book may be the reason I went into writing. I tattooed the cover onto my back.
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=Faler&pid=72036

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! You are definitely more devoted than me!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto...and I consider myself pretty darn devoted! Congratulations!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just when you think you have seen everything....! What a tale!

"Inspired by Ray" is an understatement. Transformed is more like it.
F: Do they come to life at night?

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it's not really dedicated to Ray. I probably would have had the tattoo weather I dug his work or not.

The art it's self stands on it's own merit. I'll post a better picture later.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A better picture, but not yet finished, of the old cover of "Long After Midnight"

I can't find a copy with the cover from that old edition. The book had belonged to my father when he was blowing guys brains out in Vietnam, and met my mother.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm drunk. But, how else are wwriters supposed to be.

Oh yheh that pics from, my 22nd birthday
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=Faler&pid=828

posted Hide Post
I'll post a better picture later,m it has 2 sessions left to finish.

It wqould have ben done a long time ago, but military deployments have postpobed a lot of the work.

Gpod night, it's time for me to pass out.

posted Hide Post
Faler you seem just as inspired by art as you are by writing. you mentioned something about your 22 birthday, how old are you?

Posts: 23 | Location: Sherburne, NY, 13460 | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
23 in September.

posted Hide Post
Oh..you're only a few years older than me

Posts: 23 | Location: Sherburne, NY, 13460 | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just at the tattoo parlor today, we got another session in, almost done. When I was there she gave me back the book. The things barely together, it's older then me.

When I had first found it in my father's basement, I thought that Ray Bradbury was an unknown author, and that I had discovered a treasure. Well, I was right about one thing.

Here's the original cover of Long After Midnight, when it was published in 1976, by Bantam Books.
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=Faler&pid=91364

posted Hide Post
That is an interesting illustration and choice for a tatoo. I do like it.

posted Hide Post
Which of the ss impressed you most? Is it a paperback edition? I've done a dissertation on this book and I didn't find that cover or any information on it.

Posts: 20 | Location: Caldas da Rainha, Portugal | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bantam edition, soft cover 1978. I know I said 76 earlier, I miss read, the book is very fragile, it's pages are yellowing. The artwork was done by a man named Ian Miller, whose still working today. I suspect it was him, I can't remember how I figuered it out it's not actually printed in the book. I sent him an E-mail, but he never responded.

As far as the stories go, the ones that I can remeber even reading as a boy were "The Blue Bottle", "Have I got a chocolate bar for you", "Punishment without crime", and "Getting through Sunday Somehow."

I dug "The Blue Bottle." They search for it, hunter types, mercanery types, men that I'd want on my side in combat. And when they find it, it brings them peace, through death.

But punishment without crime, that I loved as a child because it showed the immensity of systematic indifference. A man murders a robot built for being murdered, and gets the death penalty. He faces death for the destruction of a manufactured set of reactions.

Which story really impressed me the most, as a child or adult I cannot say.

You know, on the cover of the book is the price tag. 1.95$ And on the top is "First Time in Paperback." My father kept it for decades in that old basement.

posted Hide Post
So, did you include the price tag on the tattoo, and how did you like the story "A Piece of Wood"?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post