Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    451 and 911? Different Temperatures
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

451 and 911? Different Temperatures
 Login/Join

posted
I'm shocked that you would
make such a stink about "Fahrenheit 9/11" being too similar in title to your "Fahrenheit 451".
"He didn't ask my permission,"
Bradbury, 83, told The Associated Press on Friday. "That's not his novel, that's not his title, so he shouldn't have done it."
Wow, how profoundly childish.
Mr. Bradbury, it seems entirely ignoble on your part for threatening to litigate against a film that possesses parallel notions to your book: sounding the alarm to the public about the importance of preserving the ideas of democracy and freedom.

It's sadly ironic that your beef with Mr. Moore might actually embolden the extremist political right--you know, the one's that would actually like to burn books--
to further discredit his expose on the very people (Bush Jr. et. al.) you,
Mr. Bradbury, wouldn't want to inadvertently align yourself with.

Here's a suggestion Mr. Bradbury, instead of being offended that Mr. Moore
"took" your title, your precious (use the "Lord of the Rings" character Gollum's voice here) title,
you might instead see it as the highest honor that your title is echoed in a film that propogates your
most essential caveats to society, and the world at large.

Your fan (when you're not acting like you are) and Moore's,
Sayat
San Francisco, CA

[This message has been edited by Sayat (edited 06-19-2004).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that the (many, many) other posts on this topic would convince you, but it's been pointed out this is at the very best a dubious and unwanted honor--in fact, no honor at all.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
then that simply makes Bradbury a sellout and you misinformed.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sayat:

You sound like the clone of the worst of the Bradbury ''admirers''.

I am sorry to see you have so little regard of Mr. Bradbury. But then I am also surprised that you bother to come here at all.

Ray Bradbury's remark is backed by a long life creating a grand scope in the art of story telling, and affecting in an equally grand way the world of literature...

But...your uppity remark is not backed up by anything, now is it ?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surely "Something Wicked This Way Comes" when Ray Bradbury objects to the title of Michael Moore's film. Mr. Bradbury doesn't mind lifting something from the Bard (who can't object, since Shakespeare's been dead for some time), yet he objects to Moore's clever, multi-meaning title.

Do you think Walt Whitman spun in his grave and sang the blues when Mr. Bradbury published "I Sing the Body Electric?" The title after all was lifted from a Whitman poem, to become both a short story and the title of one of Bradbury's wonderful books.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I've addressed your point in another post. Would you look for it and tell me what you think?

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose Dave or anyone interested could look for the post in which you addressed his point, but it would be easier for us and him if you were to find it and paste it in a reply so that anyone who wanted to read this argument wouldn't have to search the forum to find a piece of your argument. Please consider this.

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, John Galt,

Thanks for the invitation to do the heavy lifting for Dave but I think I'll pass. The point that I was trying to make, in my oh, so subtle way, was that his arguments were unoriginal and had been addressed before. If he had taken the time to review the other threads, he would have seen that. But, since we haven't heard from him for quite some time about this subject, I suppose he's lost interest.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the point was that many of the pro-Moore, anti-Bradbury posts were posted by persons who couldn't be bothered to either think or read anything about the subjects . . . they just blathered on. Why should Pete -- or anyone else -- do the work they were so unwilling to do themselves? We argued several of these shallow points over and over again.

As the lawyers say, "Asked and answered".

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my first day on this board and that post above my first post and this is also the first thread I read this argument in, but after reading several "different" arguments on this forum I have noticed that Moore's supporters tend to use the same invalid points over and over again and I now grasp the meaning of your statement. And just to make sure we're all clear on where I stand here is some info about me. I am a supporter of Mr. Bradbury and his fight for his title. I have a high amount of disdain for Moore and the bandwagon his lies have created. I am a Libertarian and I am an Objectivist. My first post may have indicated that I was taking the side of Dave, but that could be further from the truth.

Posts: 99 | Location: LaPorte, Indiana, United States of America | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Galt: Do a search on Rand. There have been some conversations about Atlas Shrugged lately . . . just in case you hadn't seen them.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 07-24-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's also been noted that certain people here wish there weren't 30 or 40 different threads on this subject, which would eliminate a lot of "sorting through."

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

As always, you're response is best. I'll remember that next time: "Asked and answered."

Best,

Pete

posted Hide Post
NO final word on temperature -movies as of yet. Now there is...

''Celsius 41.11''

...to hit theaters somewheres next week.

It calls itself an anti-Moore film. The title refers to the temperature at which the brain begins to die.

For real!

Take a look at their website:
http://65.36.166.137/

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And of course, the rebuttal: http://www.fahrenhype911.com/reviews.php

Q: How much $ did MM make on his "documentary?"

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post