Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    I'm back, and I see this?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm back, and I see this?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all! I can't remember the name I used to go under several years ago, but I'm back. Back, only to notice that the forum isn't quite as active as it used to be.

What happened in my absence?

"Death is a lonely business!"

Posts: 3 | Location: Florida | Registered: 10 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, The Illustrated Cat, and welcome (back)!

When were you last here? It's true the old place gets rather quiet. It changed after Ray died, I think. The old regulars are still here, and we still get the odd burst of newcomers (usually when a school teacher sets a Bradbury project...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil...don't even think it....

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Evil grin, heh-heh-heh.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess we should start mailing school teachers then to make sure we get more active talkers in here.

I think my last used name was Kukai something?

And Dandelion, what are you scheming about? Haha

Posts: 3 | Location: Florida | Registered: 10 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kukai_Aoki, perhaps? With the signature "Oh, death!"?

Good to have you back, whatever your (current) name is!

dandelion got bashed, battered and tumbled over - figuratively speaking - the last time a whirlwind of teeny tots came rumbling through to do their homework assignment. Not a pleasant experience.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
The only good thing was that particular teacher seemed to have learned the lesson to never make that assignment again! I literally had to leave the state and check into a hotel to try to recover!

posted Hide Post
Oh my, that does sound like quite the experience. Let me just go shred those letters I was writing...Hahaha

posted Hide Post
...SPRING is arriving here in our Northern Climes!

These can't be far behind!! http://tonydye.files.wordpress...10/03/dandelions.jpg

Some standards in my 9-12 classes were always DW, followed by a good shiver with SWTWC, and -of course- plenty of warnings with F451.

I have been contacted for a college seminar in the coming months. RB will be center-stage...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Butch!
I've been rehearsing every night for a concert this weekend.
It was over 100 in the shade here today!
Too hot for my Nordic blood!
All the best to you and yours.

http://www.santacruzsymphony.org/

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why there's an enjoyable voice heard to start my day on the trail! The Sundance Kid rides in stealthily! (That's a fine word!)

Great site you offered above, SD. I have given it a thorough review. It looks like a fantastic venue. Ironically, I just happened across your address a few days back. (If I can get myself out of my garden long enough to send something your way, I might just surprise both of us.)

Enjoy the coming performance with your fellow musicians. I'll be listening from the distance...

(I hope the tinder conditions in CA stay far from your locale.)

f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
It was over 100 in the shade here today!

Fahrenheit 98 yesterday in the Land of Port.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you have a fine Memorial Day, fellers!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
The only good thing was that particular teacher seemed to have learned the lesson to never make that assignment again! I literally had to leave the state and check into a hotel to try to recover!

Not only that, but Thank God no other teacher made the same assignment, as it seems this school was not the exception, but the rule, for a huge section of not only the school age population but those under 30 or even 40! If possible, catch a few episodes of this show: http://www.syfy.com/theinternetruinedmylife

The amazing viciousness of people against not only their contemporaries but online strangers is simply staggering. This show features people whose lives were ruined by a single post on a variety of internet platforms via picture, video, or text, or combinations thereof, and of course those profiled did not post pictures of themselves abusing animals or children or advocating any such things--more like pranks that backfired.

The one I viewed last night showed a woman who was the target of hundreds if not thousands or tens of thousands of death threats, including a video posted by a guy, apparently of a wrecked car, ranting and raving that he had crashed on the way to her place to kill her, it was all her fault and she was going to pay!

As can be seen in some of Ray's stories, the law has to play catch-up to the technology and it seems that though people's well-intended but ill-received posts resulted in dragging them and their families through hell, few people if any were prosecuted for the harassment, which included everything from verbal to homes being vandalized. (They didn't interview anyone who'd had a family member actually seriously injured or killed over an online item--that would be more like The Internet ENDED My Life!)

One woman who was hounded out of her town, which was both difficult and expensive, said she hardly wanted to live in a world so mean and cruel. I mostly agree with her, but seriously, entertaining as such true crime shows are, I have got to stop watching them! My first thought is always, "What a horrible thing for anyone to do, or even contemplate," and my next thought is always, "Geez, I wonder how I can get someone to do that to Thom Mayne and not let on it was me who put them up to it?"