Ray Bradbury Forums
Cool quotes by Mr. Bradbury

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/1581029411

03 July 2022, 09:14 AM
Richard
Cool quotes by Mr. Bradbury
"Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for."

- Ray Bradbury
23 July 2022, 03:52 PM
Richard
"All the good, weird stories I've written are based on things I've dredged out of my subconscious. That's the real stuff. Everything else is fake."

- Ray Bradbury
08 August 2022, 06:58 AM
Richard
"I’ve never been jealous or envious of other writers. I have been in love with them and my dream always was that some day I could go to the library and look up on the shelf and see my own name gleaming against L. Frank Baum and the wonderful Oz books, or against Edgar Allen Poe’s or leaning against many other similar writers and knowing that Jules Verne was on a shelf down below me along with H. G. Wells. These are all my companions."

- Ray Bradbury
23 August 2022, 12:45 PM
Richard
“If you write a hundred short stories and they’re all bad, that doesn’t mean you’ve failed. You fail only if you stop writing."

- Ray Bradbury
27 August 2022, 05:58 AM
Richard
Rather than quote Ray Bradbury, I thought this time I would provide a post in this topic where the viewer can hear directly from Ray. The link below will take you to a short segment of Ray himself offering his thoughts and ideas. It appeared on CNN on June 6, 2012, the day after his death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbrfkgXU8jw
15 September 2022, 04:54 PM
Richard
"What, you ask, does writing teach us? First and foremost, it reminds us that we are alive and that it is a gift and a privilege, not a right. We must earn life once it has been awarded us. Life asks for rewards back because it has favored us with animation. So while our art cannot, as we wish it could, save us from wars, privation, envy, greed, old age, or death, it can revitalize us amidst it all."

- Ray Bradbury
18 September 2022, 08:51 AM
Richard
“[T]hese people at the ending of the film only articulate as walking metaphors what we are as people. Each of us has some part of some book in our heads. Some of us have good memories. Some of us have poor memories. But we all have memories of a book and how it changed our lives. So to me, that ending is beautiful. It’s a lovely movie. It’s a haunting movie.”

- Ray Bradbury, on the ending of Francois Truffaut's film version of FAHRENHEIT 451
09 October 2022, 05:17 PM
Richard
"I don't like to compete. It doesn't mean anything to me to beat someone. In the field of ideas, there's plenty of room for all of us."

- Ray Bradbury
14 October 2022, 06:31 AM
Richard
"It's lack that gives us inspiration. It's not fullness. Not ever having driven, I can write better about automobiles than the people who drive them. I have a distance here. ... Space travel is another good example. I'm never going to go to Mars but I've helped inspire, thank goodness, the people who built the rockets and sent our photographic equipment off to Mars. So it's always a lack that causes you to write that type of story."

- Ray Bradbury
08 November 2022, 06:45 AM
Richard
"I became a writer to escape the despair of the real world and enter the world of hope I create with my imagination."

- Ray Bradbury
17 November 2022, 06:37 AM
Richard
"Make sure when you wake up in the morning that you know you accomplished everything you possibly could the previous day. And then do it again!"

- Ray Bradbury
18 December 2022, 08:48 AM
Richard
“Read intensely. Write every day. Then see what happens. Most writers who do that have very pleasant careers.”

- Ray Bradbury
18 December 2022, 05:42 PM
Richard
"Science Fiction is the fiction of ideas....Why the fiction of ideas should be so neglected is beyond me. I can’t explain it, except in terms of intellectual snobbery.... If I’d found out that Norman Mailer liked me, I’d have killed myself."

- Ray Bradbury
16 January 2023, 10:15 AM
Richard
"When I was twenty-two, I sat in the sun one day and began to remember a little girl I had been with on the beach in Illinois when I was seven or eight years old. We built sandcastles together, and she went into the water and never came back. What a mystery that was! I went home with my mother saying, 'Why didn’t she come out?' It haunted me . . . and one afternoon at my typewriter I remembered her and I started writing the story, and two hours later it was finished and I was in tears. I realized that after ten years of writing — ten years! — I finally had found my interior self."

- Ray Bradbury on his short story, "The Lake"
26 January 2023, 05:53 AM
Richard
"There are two perfumes to a book. If a book is new, it smells great. If a book is old, it smells even better. It smells like ancient Egypt. A book has got to smell."

- Ray Bradbury