Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Venus Transit

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Venus Transit
 Login/Join

posted
Watched the dissapointing (though interesting) hockey fianls, after which stayed up to observe the Venus transit. Used the U's 40cm telescope. It was great. Was briefly on tv in the morning (giving a mini interview about venus). Very fun.

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
..and to bring us back on-topic:

I feel I should know this, but has Ray written any stories set on Venus? (Wasn't there one in the Illustrated Man movie?)

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I do believe Bradbury set a story on Venus, or at least one that I could remember. I believe it's in The Illustrated Man, although the title escapes me...

"I'll hold onto the world tight someday. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning"-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Posts: 7 | Location: Radford VA | Registered: 01 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Venus story from IM is "The Long Rains" (the story that got me started).

and, of course, "All Summer in a Day" was also set on Venus.

Makes you wish Ray would do a Venus novel!

Posts: 48 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heard the view in South Africa was great! So, the question is, did our own douglasSP see it? Calling douglas!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"All Summer in a Day" and "The Long Rain" were two of the stories that got me hooked on Bradbury's writing. In both cases, it was space, but in a fantasy world that Bradbury created. It was not physical realism that he was after, but a kind of psychological realism. In these two stories, you can feel the emotions and despair. Great, great stories.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post