Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Thanksgiving
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Patrick,

Thank you so much for the link so such a neat article. I am sure that Ray's Patrick will make sure that he reads it.

We are all envious of your being able to visit there and have a such a wonderful and personal tour.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to see "Farewell Summer" also. Is Ray actively working that right now? Do we have an estimated timeframe for the release of this book?

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comment, biplane1. I sure did have a blast up there.

I can't answer Mr. Dark's question about the progress of "Farewell Summer." The most I can do is redirect you to an online interview with Ray from October 11. It's located at http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2005/10/11/news/news03.prt.

The interview confirms that he has sold "Farewell Summer" and "Somewhere a Band is Playing" to his publisher, along with the stage play "Leviathan 99." But Ray does not shed any light on the publication dates.

I'm itching to read "Farewell Summer." Ray remains cryptic, though, about the content of the second book. He wrote a poem of that title, published in "The Complete Poems of Ray Bradbury." If I recall correctly, it's about the afterlife.

Speaking of "Leviathan," the literary scholar Andrew Delbanco has published a new biography of Herman Melville, and it opens with a poem by Ray about Captain Ahab.

Patrick

Posts: 25 | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with Ray and asked him about his writing an update for "In His Own Words" and his said that he so busy with the three writing projects mentioned by Patrick, that he doesn't have the time to do it.

So he confirmed the two novels, "Somewhere a Band is Playing" and "Farewell to Summer." And he mentioned the play "Leviathan 99."

There are so many other questions that I would like to ask him when I have him on the phone and he doesn't seem like I have to hurry up, but I feel that I can't take too much of his time. But just to speak with Ray every once in a while is very nice.

When I first called about an hour and a half ago a young man named Donovan answered and suggested that I call back in about an hour. It is nice to know that Ray has someone to assist him around his home.

So, we will have to wait until after the first of the year for an update. He reminded me that he has no computer and I think that he does a lot of dictation to his daughter Alexandra when he is writing.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....I am new to the website, but feel, like so many others like me, that I know Ray personally. You can't help but feel that way after reading the written word of one of the greats - a connection - an affinity - because he stands for what I have always believed in - imagination, adventure, story and the autumnal equinox(October Country)!!To speak with him as you do, now that is an honour I wish to have sometime - until then it's off to the written world and Ray, greetings from Canada......

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick Mullens,

Thanks for the updates. How exciting to read those two articles: one about your visit to Greentown and the recent interview with RB. What a life force Ray is! Are you doing research on Ray for possible publication?

Thanks to you, too, Biplane, for sharing your phone conversations with the master.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently working on a history book about the intellectual origins of the American Revolution in Boston. I'll be tied up with that project for a while. But I am hoping to write at least an article on Ray within the coming year. Particularly in the wake of my visit to Green Town, I'd love to write on Ray's boyhood in Waukegan as the well of inspiration for his stories and novels.

Since I'd need to do some intensive biographical research as well as review Ray's entire body of work, such a project would require a lot of research outside of my field of specialization. It sure would be fun (!), but it will have to remain on hold for now. If I can turn to such a project, I'll be most grateful for whatever feedback and information you guys can offer. Thanks to The Lake for your comments.

Patrick

P.S. And I still hope to find Mister Electrico! If I ever do, I'll definitely get an article out of it!

P.P.S. Biplane1 has my envy!

Posts: 25 | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PatrickMullins,

Please email me at clmi9901@msn.com.