Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Grim Reaper

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Grim Reaper
 Login/Join

posted
I get out all my old tapes and play the Hallowe'en-themed ones leading up to this greatest of holidays. Last night I played that grand old Thriller classic, "The Grim Reaper." I have long wanted to read the Harold Lawlor short story on which it was based, but have had no luck in finding it. Does anyone reading this know where this story might be in print?

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but you might ask here: http://forums.abebooks.com/abecom/start/ and at rec.arts.sf.written at Google Groups.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done a little digging. Turns out the story was originally published under the title "The Black Madonna" in Weird Tales magazine, May 1947 (info here. The Internet Speculative Fiction Database, a usually reliable (but not infallible) source does not give any indication of the story being published anywhere other than Weird Tales.

Coincidentally, the blog "A Thriller a Day" - which is slowly working through the entire collection of the Karloff TV series - today features exactly this episode! Read it here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for this info. Wish I had a copy of the Reaper painting to hang on my wall! And Happy Hallowe'en to all if we don't speak again 'till then--

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post