Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    farewell summer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farewell summer
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"Smock! Smock!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember Steve Allen saying “Smock! Smock!” but if I actually heard it maybe I would. I remember him saying “Caw! Caw!” I think.

I do remember seeing first hand (and some of this has been replayed on tape from time to time) one of the Tonight Shows were there was a plot to throw a pie in Steve’s face without telling him first. When they did it you could see him getting very angry but then the curtain opened and there was a table full of pies. Then he started laughing and grabbing pies and throwing them at the cameraman and the rest of the crew. Everyone was throwing pies. It was carnage--and I was literally on the floor.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Smock. Wow, I wish I could've seen the pie episode! Remember the "Gravy Waltz"? Probably his most famous composition after "This Could Be The Start Of Something Big". I just got through playing 3 hours of jazz. I'll have to remember to quote something of his next time I solo...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“This honeybee’s humming”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As chilled eves and following morns remind us of what awaits (especially here in the four-seasoned climes), wouldn't it be appropo and inspiring for a new entry to grace the "In His Words" contents of the opening of this RB site. Maybe, Patrick could put in a good word for all here and have Mr. B send a quick hello.

It is hard to believe four years have raced by since his last article here in cyberspace (then, upon his 82nd birthday). In any medium, Ray Bradbury communicates with pizzazz! Today, venturing toward 28,000 visits into the life of this site, I know we would all be privileged to know he has sent a few words of greetings and encouragement his fans worldwide! What do you think FH451, Nard, Dandy?

RE: http://raybradbury.com/inhiswords.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the honor of meeting Steve Allen in a Laguna Beach bookstore where he was signing books. What a rare, multi-talented, very serious man, yet, with a sense of humor, - a truly renaissance man that left us so much to enjoy and marvel at. I miss him and that infectous laugh that was so evident on the old Tonight show. Schmock, Schomck! But never schmuck.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Idea! Probably no one has approached Ray on updating his comments on heading towards his 87th Year! Hopefully I'll see him in the next 10 days. I will NOT forget to remind him of his previous comments on this board, and the possibility of adding new ones.

patrask: Do you recall what year Steve Allen was in Laguna Beach?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
I had Steve autography a copy of his book "Dumbth" but there is no date on the signature. I think it was about 5 or 6 years ago, just shortly before he passed way.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask:

'Fahrenheit 451' used to be a bookstore in Laguna Beach, California. Any chance Steve Allen signed from there? Mentioned the absence of that bookstore to Ray recently (since he signed from there years back)...and he said just a very bad accounting of things there led to the demise of the bookstore named after his novel.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank and Nard, I approached Ray on updating the In His own Words section. His reply was that he couldn't remember what he wrote in the first two postings, so I printed them out and faxed them to him.

That was over a year ago and, obviously, nothing has been done in this regard. I think, still, that it is a great idea and perhaps Patrick can tickle his ear in this regard.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To bring this up a bit for Patrick to see. Say, Patrick, sould you ask Ray if he would have a new contribution to "In His Own Words?" I can fax the first three to him again so that he can see what he wrote then.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
patrask:

'Fahrenheit 451' used to be a bookstore in Laguna Beach, California. Any chance Steve Allen signed from there? Mentioned the absence of that bookstore to Ray recently (since he signed from there years back)...and he said just a very bad accounting of things there led to the demise of the bookstore named after his novel.

Steve Allen was not at Fahrenheit 451 when I saw him, he was at a small bookseller in the Courtyard on Forrest Ave, I forget the name, likely gone now. I did see Ray at Fahrenheit 451 when it was on the main drag. It was under the Greek restaurant there. That was quite a few years ago.