Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    farewell summer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farewell summer
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Chapter, Don't miss it. I'm going again. He had an anurism(?sorry B-Two) last year, and as you can imagine, it gave his music a new urgency and vitality that to me hasn't been really present since Comes a Time. You can see the raw emotion and thanks in his wife and the other players faces on stage, that he got reprieved, as they are playing with him. The new material is outstranding and then he plays some old greats as well, including I am a Child, Old Man, Needle, and Old Laughing Lady, and others. Its a fine fine film.

addendum: forgot to mention this, not sure if in Oct. my whole family can come to Greentown because of wifes work and taking kids out of school(she's not too hip on that one), but my ten year old son asked if he can go. We are still reading Martian Chronicles at night before bed, we take turns. I told him in order to "know" the town, he needs to read Dandelion. This was about a week or so ago. He was looking for a new book to read and I suggested that, but I think he avoided it because it wasn't sci-fi enough looking or fantasy enough. He picked it up yesterday, and he's hooked on Dandelion!! I may have a fellow sojourner w/me come October, yea!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.K and Braling and Robot--I can vouch for Dandelion's book. It is excellent!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanx Skipper, how ya doin? Good I hope, keeping the kids on their toes....on Mars?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
I read very little poetry but when I find something I like I read it over and over, year after year. I keep going back. “Annabelle Lee”, “El Dorado”, “The Highwayman”, “The Lady of Shalott” and the “We few, we happy few.” speech in “Henry V” are examples.

For those who love poetry and haven’t yet experienced her, I recommend two CDs by Loreena McKennitt: “The Visit” on which she sings “The Lady of Shalott” and “The Book of Secrets” on which she sings “The Highwayman”. Be warned. This is like seeing the end of Chaplin’s “City Lights”. These performances are shattering!

Robot Lincoln,
Most excellent.

I'm going back and writing all of everyones recommendations and advice on poetry and novels, I was a little confused at the top listings on these poems. I know Poe did Annabelle Lee, but who is authors on the rest at the top?

posted Hide Post
Sorry about that, Robot Lincoln. “El Dorado” was written by Poe. “The Highwayman” was written by Alfred Noyes. “The Lady of Shalott” was written by Alfred, Lord Tennyson and the “We few, we happy few” speech from “Henry V” was of course written by Shakespeare.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mucho apprecianado(?) Chapter, I may have the Tennyson poem in one of the anthologies. I'm just lacking one post by Imskipper that I had trouble tracking down, about the handicapped kid that nobody knows is a genius. Gonna find it right now. Thanks again.

have since scored a Tennyson book, a T.S. Eliot, and have a few from the beat writers on the way. Ferlinghetti looks good. Did T.S. Eliot write novels also?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Farewell Summer is an English name for
goldenrod.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's yellow too, seems like he would stick with yellow, I think he likes that color. Cool.

posted Hide Post
I didn’t know that. Excellent!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He sure does like yellow. He painted his whole house that color.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope he doesn’t have a cook named Fritz!

posted Hide Post
Took me awhile, but are you referring to Nero Wolfe?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Very satisfactory."

Yeah, Nero Wolfe. What is it about yellow and great men? Remember the Steve Alan program where he and Jayne Meadows would have a couple of great people like Einstein and Socrates sit around a table and have a discussion? Imagine Ray Bradbury and Nero Wolfe.

posted Hide Post
"Meeting Of The Minds" ! Excellent. What a renaissance man was Steve.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose between the original Tonight Show with Steve Allen and The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson it would be no contest. Steve would be my choice, and I loved Carson. I’m holding back here because there are a lot of good things I want to say about Allen. Renaissance man is right!