Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    farewell summer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farewell summer
 Login/Join

posted
I know sometimes Ray has used bits of others works for titles and such in his stories. He even uses stuff from his own works as titles. Yesterday, I was reading Some Live Like Lazarus from The Machineries of Joy. I did a double-take on this, "He was a sprig of farewell summer pressed in an old book, to be taken out, turned over, admired, once a year, but more than that?" My question, if anyone knows, is there a specific plant called that? Because it does sound like he is referring to a real plant, although in light of his writings, it most likely is figurative. Just wondering, and was surprised to see the title.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got back from surfing and found it. Quite interesting. It seems that one of the many common names for Soapwort is Farewell Summer. It further stated some of the many gypsy remedies and uses. Used as an expectorant, arthritis(not sure for pain or anti-swelling), salad, soap, beer, mild poison, eases poison ivy itch too. Another flower, possible beer connection this time with the grandfather...Soapwort Beer, no just doesn't have the same ring to it as Dandelion Wine.

Yes, I've been reduced to talking to myself. Your all meanies, blue meanies, using words an outdated robot doesn't comprehend. Tomorrow, I will purchase a new dictionary as this one has been dog eared to dust...

just kiddin, GOSH!

Quick update on the festivities in October, I had planned on bringing my scope(12.5" Dobsonian, looks like a cannon, fun to use)with me and maybe setting it up near the Ravine. I contacted their astronomy club about doing a sidewalk presentation after the festivities. They were very receptive, I gave them the appropriate e-mails. I beleive it would be magical to go to Ray Bradbury story readings and then star gaze. I think it goes hand in hand, so I think it may be on the agenda.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buck up Robot, it will all get better.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1 and all, I just thought of a poem also entitled Farewell Summer by Ray, its in that collection Android Pope or something like that. I thought I had it but was mistaken. Does anyone have that and could you post it or e-mail it to me. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Wow, Robot, you keep coming up with cool ideas for the Waukegan get-together. I can't wait!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to it for sure. I'm getting maps from them and the lodge at Illinois Beach state park is sending info too. I'm working on an itinerary of key places to visit and experience while there. It will be a pleasure to meet you Skipper.

Afternote, the astronomy club I contacted is twenty miles away and the Ray celebration is also on the night of their monthly meeting, Bruce, my contact said several members were into it but most not for it right now, he will keep me posted. In the meantime, I went ahead and e-mailed the library activities director, Elizabeth, and told her of my idea. I will leave it to them to decide, but I'll bring my scope anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
"Farewell summer" is the name of a plant? Wow, I never heard that before. Thanks for the info, R.L.

Although I don't have the book immediately at hand, I believed that Ray's poem "Farewell Summer" was reprinted in "The Complete Poems of Ray Bradbury."

I imagine you know this, but "Farewell Summer" is also the name of the sequel to "Dandelion Wine."

The long awaited novel is now available for preorder from Amazon.com for $15.72. It is currently due out on October 1, 2006.

Just in time for your big visit to Waukegan! Sounds like you and the gang are going to have a blast.

I got to spend last Halloween weekend in Green Town, and had the time of my life. Let me know if you need any pointers on Bradbury related sites around town.

Farewell Winter, Hello Spring!

Patrick Mullins
Indianapolis, IN

Posts: 25 | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Patrick! If I'm not mistaken, that was you that originally posted the message about it being available for pre-order a month or so ago. I ordered it then. Thanks for the info on the poems, I don't have that book, so I'll probably order it as well. Also very interested in knowing all the good spots that you experienced in Greentown. I hope there's a few good used bookstores. Also about Farewell Summer, It might not have been Ray's intention to name it after a plant but it sure is ironic. Both of those kinds of flowers I think are considered by many to be weeds, although both in my opinion are strikingly beutiful and unique.

posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln--

I derived gleaned my itinerary mainly from Sam's biography. Most of the sites I hit on my Halloween visit would be pretty obvious to you, but I'll list them all anyway.

Ray Bradbury Park, 41 North Park Avenue (Note: the houses on Park Ave. are the ones Ray moved to Mars; one of them provided the setting for The Utterly Perfect Murder)

Ray's Parents' Home, 11 South St. James St.(watch out for the Thing at the Top of the Stairs!)

Ray's Grandparents' Home, 619 Washington St. (with one remaining strawberry window--no vampires, though)

Uncle Bion and Aunt Edna's House, 618 Glen Rock Ave.

The Carnegie Library, corner of Washington St. and Sheridan Rd. (closed to the public; diagonally across from it is a municipal parking lot, once the site of Ray's Great-Grandparents' house, the Victorian that he used in Dandelion Wine, the Homecoming, Halloween Tree, etc.)

Waukegan Public Library, 128 N. County St. (on the former site of Central School; note Bradbury mural, Bradbury room, Bradbury file, and all of his books in the stacks; the statuary out front is wonderful)

The Genesee Theater, 203 North Genesee Theater (where Ray saw Blackstone; the Academy Theater, where Ray saw the Phantom of the Opera, was in the now vacant lot across the street)

Waukegan Municipal Beach, 201 Sea Horse Drive (The Lake)

Union Cemetary, Grand Avenue, 1/2 block east of Green Bay Rd. (final resting place for Ray's paternal grandparents, aunt and uncle, and--unmarked--baby sister)

Just getting to visit the Ravine is worth the whole trip, particularly when the fall colors set in. Halloween weekend was the perfect time to go for me.

If I can think of some of the other sites I visited, I'll let you know. If you think of places I haven't listed, please let me know. I hope to make a return trip in the summer, before I leave the Midwest.

Drunk on Dandelion Wine--

Dr. Patrick Mullins

posted Hide Post
Oh, one more thing. Just around the corner from "Bradbury Triangle" (formed by Washington, Park, and Glen Rock) is the Lutheran Church Ray mentioned in "The Night" and again in "Dandelion Wine." It's a Latin Pentecostal Church now, I think.

P.

posted Hide Post
Ray says that there used to be a "haunted house" on the Ravine, the primary inspiration for Mr. Moundshroud's house in "The Halloween Tree." A rest home called Lilac Lodge is now on the site. If there was a pumpkin tree there, it's long since gone! I understand that there was another "haunted house" downtown that Ray and his buddies also used to explore. It was replaced by City Hall.

Patrick

posted Hide Post
Wow. Now I really wish I could get out that way.
How about the trolley tracks?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, you had to mention trolley tracks! There still exists in my home town, Ottumwa, Iowa (home of Radar O'Reilly and Tom Arnold)trolley tracks on the south side of town. Alas, the trolleys were gone before I was born although I have seen an old car behind a friend's house.

Wow! It is amazing how the thought or mention of a word brings memories flooding back, especially for some of us older ones.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury's description of the trolley in Dandelion Wine is one of my favourite examples of how he transports, and in my opinion is also some of the best writing ever done by anyone ever. Maybe I'll post it...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Patrick, thats a great itenerary, thanks for sharing. I was looking at Sam's book and also noted the place where he got out of the car and ran over to the carnival to meet Mr. Electrico. If you think of any more, please post, I'm going to copy all of your suggestions. Braling and all, you should go to this, it will be cool with the book coming out and all. I wish instead of the Genesee, that they would have story reading in the Ravine around a campfire with the words echoing out into the star filled night. Your right also Braling about that being a most vivid and vibrant description of the Trolley. When the driver takes those kids on one last ride, its just so bittersweet. Biplane, its amazing to me that it only takes a small whiff of perfume in the air, or a certain sound to be a catalyst for the nostalgia of our minds. Sometimes it takes a phone call to a faraway dry land and a window opening, but mostly it cannot be forced. Isn't it strange what our subconcious minds have locked within. On a side note. I was scanning a website with census records, just playing searching for Mr. Electrico's true identity. One name that came up in a few search strings was Orrin Sparks. I know, its not him, but how appropriate is that name??? Anyway, thank you all, I hope we can meet and tour the town together by bike or walk or however. Later daze.

Dr. Patrick, you should think about going the week of Oct. 20th. when the month long celebration culminates in Greentown!