Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Long Rain Remake

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Long Rain Remake
 Login/Join

posted
I was so inspired by his story "The Long Rain" I want to remake the TV film. We can do it guys!

All it takes is for 70,000 science fiction fans to donate $1.

http://www.kickstarter.com/pro...dburys-the-long-rain

Please tell friends, colleagues, anybody lets do this! For Bradbury!

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: 24 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before anyone offers a penny for this, geovane, have you investigated whether the film rights to this story are available to you? And how much you would need to pay to secure them if available?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a non-profit film so we do not need rights.

Geo,

Posts: 4 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: 24 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Geo,

not wishing to teach grandmothers to suck eggs, but as it happens I make my living from teaching film production. Please be very careful, because it is not true to say "It's a non-profit film so we do not need rights."

It may be that a rightsholder would say, "Because it is not for profit, we will allow you to do this for free, with certain conditions attached" - but that would be their prerogative, and it is not something you can automatically claim.

For your own benefit - and for the benefit of anyone who is going to invest in this venture - you should have "rights clearance" as part of your plan. And since rights clearance COULD cost money, you really ought to budget for it, just in case.

Sorry for the lecture, but this is a message I am repeatedly having to get across to my students.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to the company, they said for $3000 we can submit to film festivals Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geovane:
I just spoke to the company, they said for $3000 we can submit to film festivals Smiler

Great! Then I hope this is what you will do, and that you will meet your Kickstarter target!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input Phil! I say you have your school pledge $1 each. jk jk :P

posted Hide Post
Hello,
I'm a new member. I'm a life-long Bradbury lover, and am now in a position to explore doing some animated versions of his work. How do I go about getting permission/rights for say, to start with, some or all of The Illustrated Man?
Thank you

Posts: 1 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: 30 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan, and welcome.

To inquire about rights, you would need to contact the agent for the Bradbury Estate, which is Don Congdon Associates. All their contact details are on this web page:

http://www.doncongdon.com/

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post