Ray Bradbury Forums
How many books have you burnt (thrown away) in yr life?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/1447059196

08 November 2019, 12:53 AM
Elisa
How many books have you burnt (thrown away) in yr life?
My answer: about 5 books (signature: Elisa)
09 November 2019, 05:25 PM
dandelion
Welcome to the Forums.

None deliberately but I have some sad stories.
09 November 2019, 10:45 PM
douglasSP
One of my weaknesses is that I hate throwing things away—books especially.

I keep books, even if I know I'll never read them, usually because they represent memories, or because they belonged to my parents, or whatever.

But on a very few occasions I have thrown away, or given away books. I gave several boxes of books away to charity when my life partner died in 2013, because I just had no interest in her type of books. I did keep a few that were useful or had sentimental value.

On other occasions I have given away duplicates of books, or outdated volumes of publications that are updated annually, like Leonard Maltin's movie guide. I have even thrown away books, for instance where they were really just catalogs or prospectuses.

But generally, I keep books.
10 November 2019, 12:55 PM
<mikewestphal>
Deliberately chucked one book into the dumpster in the hopes that no one would ever read it. It was a collection of scary/weird stories, and it contained ONE STORY that was so gross/sick/anti-human by the odious Clive Barker that I sent the whole collection to burn. Call me the fireman.
10 November 2019, 05:50 PM
dandelion
Regarding Clive Barker, I don't blame you. I absolutely LOVED Scott Bakula from 1989-1995, when he starred in several projects I just couldn't stand, one being Lord of Illusions from 1995, written and directed by Barker, which I even saw in the theater. I have scarcely followed Bakula's work since, and I used to just LOVE him!
10 November 2019, 05:50 PM
dandelion
I do throw away seriously damaged books but they have to be non-repairable even for use as parts to replace missing pages in other copies.
07 January 2020, 05:29 AM
mike westphal
I bought one book I should have burned at the $1.00 table at the book sale when the oldest library in the state was going out of business, it was the Necro-something, maybe comicon, and it was all about The Black Goat of the Woods With a Thousand Young and some fishy thing called Cthulhu and how to call down hungry weirdies from other space-time continua, and I thought, Is this the kind of thing I'd want my daughters to read? and I said NO! so i decided to burn it in the largest open-pit volcano in Arkansas, Mt. Idy, but these shadow-things kept battering on my windows, I went anyway but the shadow-things grabbed at me every time I went to sleep and Gumby sat on me and held me down and SpongeBob tore it from my fingers so now strange lights flash over the skies of Arkansas and 3 sinister kings have arrived on the bus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike westphal,
07 January 2020, 03:46 PM
dandelion

07 January 2020, 11:15 PM
dandelion

08 January 2020, 03:38 PM
mike westphal
That first one! That's the book!
08 January 2020, 03:42 PM
mike westphal
And that's why we need a border wall!
02 January 2021, 01:21 PM
dandelion
I am currently giving away as many duplicate books as I can find takers for.
23 October 2021, 05:30 PM
dandelion
This year I did destroy a book which had a binding error repeating some pages and leaving out others. I made sure I had a good copy first though.