Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Books, comics, films etc that have inspired Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books, comics, films etc that have inspired Ray
 Login/Join

posted
I would like your help in compiling a list of any authors, books, comic strips, films e.t.c that have inspired and/or influenced Mr Bradbury.

I know of some already. For authors, Edgar Rice Burroughs with the 'John Carter of Mars' book series, Buck Rogers comic strips, John Steinbeck, Eudora Welty, Willa Cather, John Collier, Loren Eiseley, George Bernard Shaw, the Bible, William Shakespeare and many more.

For films, King Kong, the Ray Harryhausen films (and vice versa), Lon Chaney, and John Huston to name a few. In radio, Norman Corwin and George Burns.

Can you name any more?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martian (Ruth S. Hare),

___________________________________________________________________________________
"The key word is love... get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for!”

Posts: 18 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 19 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sherwood Anderson, author of WINESBURG, OHIO - influenced both Martian Chronicles and Dandelion Wine.

Charles Dickens, especially A CHRISTMAS CAROL - sometimes named by Bradbury as his favourite story.

Herman Melville, MOBY DICK - Bradbury's work on the 1956 film was a major turning point in his authorship.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome fellow Martian. I happen to be "passing" for Human myself.

According to various interviews and essays H. G. Wells and Jules Verne are two of his favorites. Also F. Scott Fitzgerald, esp. his book Tender is the Night.

Leigh Bracket was a writer teacher friend of Mr Bradbury and contributed to the story "The Scythe."

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G.B.S. is his all-time favourite writer, although Dickens' A Christmas Carol is his favourite novel, and the one he says he would choose to memorise were he to find himself at the end of Fahrenheit 451, a book person.

Personally, my all-time favourite writer is Ray Bradbury, and my all-time favourite book is The Martian Chronicles.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one of Ray's favorite writers is Thomas Love Peacock. Ray recommended his novels to me, and I have greatly enjoyed reading Peacock's satiric take on man's many foibles.

Ray expressed his love for Peacock's work in the 1997 Camden House edition of Peacock's HEADLONG HALL, for which he wrote the introduction. There was also a 500-copy limited edition of the book signed by Ray.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And yet another is Robert Benchley. In this book, a young Ray had typed his name on a small piece of paper and glued it over Benchley's on the title page - he fancied himself a great writer even then, you see.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
And yet another is Robert Benchley. In this book, a young Ray had typed his name on a small piece of paper and glued it over Benchley's on the title page - he fancied himself a great writer even then, you see.

Thank you for this, I never knew! In fact I've never heard of this author before, but I'm glad you told me, I'm looking him up online now. Big Grin And what a great photo of Ray!

___________________________________________________________________________________
"The key word is love... get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for!”

Posts: 18 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 19 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the flick, Doug!
I love Benchley.
I have a few of his books.
If you get a chance to see Hitchcock's "Foreign Correspondent" he actually as quite a meaty part!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Thanks, for the flick, Doug!

Glad to post for everyone's enjoyment. It's a short one doesn't see often enough.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hello, friends -
My post does not specifically reference a book. I hope this is OK. I saw Mr. Bradbury's name mentioned in connection with Marta Becket and a documentary about Ms. Becket and her Amargosa Opera House in Death Valley Junction, Calif. The documentary is entitled "Amargosa". It is directed by Todd Robinson and features an interview with Mr. Bradbury in which he calls Becket "the spirit of the individual, of creativity." The video is available through Netflix in streaming format. I hope this note is useful.
Best wishes to all.
critter.

For those not interested in slogging through the entire documentary, Mr. Bradbury's comments are at these playing times :
11:40 - 12:14
21:52 - 22:22
36:30 - 36:50
1:14:28 - 1:14:52

This message has been edited. Last edited by: critter,

Posts: 5 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 04 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second critter's recommendation. I have the film on DVD, and it's quite fascinating.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by critter:
Hello, friends -
My post does not specifically reference a book. I hope this is OK. I saw Mr. Bradbury's name mentioned in connection with Marta Becket and a documentary about Ms. Becket and her Amargosa Opera House in Death Valley Junction, Calif. The documentary is entitled "Amargosa". It is directed by Todd Robinson and features an interview with Mr. Bradbury in which he calls Becket "the spirit of the individual, of creativity." The video is available through Netflix in streaming format. I hope this note is useful.
Best wishes to all.
critter.

For those not interested in slogging through the entire documentary, Mr. Bradbury's comments are at these playing times :
11:40 - 12:14
21:52 - 22:22
36:30 - 36:50
1:14:28 - 1:14:52

Thanks critter! I'd never even heard of her work before now. Smiler