Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    review about bradbury´s short story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

review about bradbury´s short story
 Login/Join

posted
is there anyone who can help me with the analysis of bradbury´s short story " a story of love" or "these things happen" ?? I´m writing a critical essay about this short story, I need help with some ideas and critiques to analyse this.
Thanks ! Smiler

Posts: 4 | Registered: 15 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi verito, and welcome.

Have you read the story? Folks here like to help, but you are more likely to get some help if you tell us YOUR thoughts on the story first.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil !! thanks for answering!!
Yes, I´ve read it and I´ve been thinking what I´m going to discuss and write in my essay: The story starts describing the 24 year-old teacher , Ann Taylor, who is beautiful and her 14 year old student, Bob Spaulding, who fell in love with her, But she says that their relationship can´t be possible because this is not the thing that we consider in this world unless it occurs in a man of a certain age.It´s a question of age and prejudices in our society. They can´t have a relationship because of their differences of age and because of their roles (teacher-student). It´s cultural, and social. Society doesn´t accept that kind of relationship, but if it is the other way round, that is, the boy older than her,then, there is not a serious problem, and with the conscent of the girl´s father, they are able to stay together and they are not badly regarded in society, maybe. What do you think? what is more, there is another point to take into account, the fact that she may have problems with the law as it´s against the law that she maintains a relationship with a minor. But later, he went to live to another town and she died and he knew it when he came back 10 years later. He was married at that moment. He went to his teacher´s tomb and he thought she was 26 ( her age when she died) and now at that exact moment he was only 3 years older, but they couldn´t be togheter. Finally, his actual wife was describes exactly in the same way is his teacher Ann taylor.

posted Hide Post
I think that her love for his teacher, perhaps, was real.
What calls my attention is that by the end the author adds a new name in it in the last line which says: " and this was one of those rare few days in time when the climate was balanced like a maple leaf between winds that blo just right one of those days that should have been named, everyone agreed, after Robert Spaulding´s wife"
Robert spaulding´s wife??? who´s he?? the boy´s name is Bob Spaulding. This is what I don´t understand so much ... can u help me ?? what do u think? Thanks! Smiler