Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Martian Chronicles!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Fascination--You described it perfectly!! I too, although much older than you, feel like a child sitting on his grandfather's knee when I'm reading Ray's stories. This is one of the main reasons I love him--he brings out the child in me, the part that needs to come out now and then to be revitalized. On another note, you mentioned that you haven't seen many t.v. adaptations of his work. The Sci Fi Channel periodically run episodes of his Bradbury Theater. About 65 of his stories were made into half hour programs for this series. They run them for a month or two, then they disappear for several months. Most of them are, in my opinion, good adaptations of his stories. Some of my favorite episodes are "The Veldt" (one I got flack for showing to my seventh graders as well as teaching the story!!), "The Anthem Sprinters," "The Lake," "The Screaming Woman," and more. I found a list of them at one of his other websites and made it my goal to catch every episode. It took me about three years, but I did it. If you go to www.scifi.com and search their t.v. schedules, you can see if they are playing his episodes currently or in the near future. Hope you can catch some of them!!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Bradbury's more current work, Driving Blind, Quicker Than the Eye, and One More For The Road. Each have some exellent short stories that could easily be made into short film treatments. It would be a wonderful undertaking to bring some of his current work to life. I would also love to see Death is a Lonely Business made into a film. It would be tasty fare.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironic, a year and 11 days from the top post and here is another reason I love this book!

12th grade SF class (tv, 3 distance schools):
We read "The Settlers" orally today. RE: Biggs is christening the canal with empty liquor bottles & Spender arrives...

"Spender was on his feet, over the fire, and alongside Biggs before anyone moved. He hit Biggs once in the teeth and once in the ear. Biggs toppled and fell down into the canal water."

At the end of the chapter after Spender gets it "in the chest," Captain Wilder advises the others to think about Spender from time to time. Spender is placed in a Martian tomb, complete with waxes and wines, 10,000 years old...

"The next afternoon Parkhill did some target practice in one of the dead cities, shooting out the crystal windows and blowing off the fragile tops. The captain caught Parkhill and knocked out his teeth."

His writing is Poetry in motion!

The students are again reacting as my comments in the initial post implied this time last year. Really enjoyable! Thanks Mr. B!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-12-2003).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, I was quoting Huxley five years ago in reference to Mr. B and never even knew it. This newly released NASA photo really makes one wonder what the pictures they are not sharing with us may reveal...maybe, A Million-Year Picnic!? Or then again, some floating blue orbs! Amazing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci...alls-Red-Planet.html

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
This newly released NASA photo really makes one wonder what the pictures they are not sharing with us may reveal...

I was expecting Sam Parkhill's hot dog stand!

fjp, this is a mighty old thread you've resurrected. Whatever happened to Uncle and Crumley, correspondents gone but not quite forgotten?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some forums this would be cause for a Zombie thread alert.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...Someone needs to send them a copy of the definitive text...

And not forgetting this dubious evidence of intelligent life.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some hints into an explanation of RB's "Fire Balloons" and the Ancients on The Red Planet!

Ironic, the images from the just above "28 April" post...take a look.

Then consider this, only far more advance in its scientific endeavor:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sci_living_long

posted Hide Post
Old news! They should have read the stories and saved all of the money!

And the Moon Be Still as Bright:
http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-20...5.html?tag=page;next

Golden Apples of the Sun:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-50...bsnewsMainColumnArea

posted Hide Post
It Came From Outer Space!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/201...steroid-41f21e0.html

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Reading the final chapter (Paris Review) of Echoes early this a.m. around 3:30ish, the words of Mr. Jonas rang back into my mind as Mr. B spoke extensively of his experiences with Melville. The section in which Doug is visited by the old antiques wagoneer calls from the pages of Moby Dick!

Yes?!