Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Martian Chronicles!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles!
 Login/Join

posted
I have just finished The Martian Chronicles with a SF class of HS seniors. Every time I have taught and discussed this book, I have been very (pleasantly) surprised by the reactions and involvement of the students. (The present group of young people includes students at a distant district -TV hook up via a nearby college- "tv class/F451?!")

As for the effect of the book's contents/messages, the students come to class loaded with questions and offering selections they want to read aloud. They consistently state "I loved this part" or "the part about ---- is great!" They do not hesitate to explain why, give the page number, and proceed to read the passage to other members of the class. This feedback is not "solicited" which adds to the uniqueness of the matter. I find it quite interesting and have begun to look forward to it happening with each new group!

I can not recall another book of any genre for which this happens - even though many great authors and titles are on our overall 9-12 reading lists.

Is it the poetic style? The alien life and landscape? Characters? I still find myself re-reading passages to be sure I didn't miss some minute detail. With Mr. Bradbury's works, it seems one read is never enough.

In this course from mythology to 20th Century authors, The Martian Chronicles is the one selection that really seems to hit a nerve in the students.

Any ideas on the students' reactions?

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-31-2002).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a hard question to answer, but seems a good place to post an observation I've been meaning to share about an article entitled "The Case Against Ray Bradbury," by Edward Wood, from "Journal of Science Fiction," Fall 1951. I made a point of finding a copy and reading it as, aside from a few snotty reviews in "The New York Times" and such, I'm unaware of any "case" against Ray Bradbury and wanted to know what his was. I remember the article being lengthy and have forgotten most of what it said, except for one particularly insupportable argument that Bradbury's viewpoint is so tied to his own background as to make his work incomprehensible to anyone not born in America between 1920-1940. Now, I was born AFTER 1960 and have read EVERY WORD I could get by Bradbury--I certainly don't find his work "incomprehensible"! I've been pleased to note on this board the presence of people from all over the world--a message in French, a Russian "Dandelion Wine"--and of all ages. RainWalker is 12, which makes her born when? 1989, 1990? A LONG TIME after 1940! So glad to hear of Ray's work finding its way to a new generation. In 1984 Donn Albright told me he had met Edward Wood years after this article was written, and, sad to say, despite Mr. Bradbury's vast body of work since 1951, he never reformed. "He just really hates Ray Bradbury." A teacher at the university I attended (from whom, thankfully, I never took a class) felt the same way. Almost makes ya feel sorry for the poor schmucks!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always found the analysis of Mr. Bradbury's works as offered by John Clute in the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (1996?)as rather ambivalent also. He seemed to go out of his way to identify the elements of Mr. Bradbury's works which did not fit neatly into the sci-fi genre. So what?

Well, isn't that the irony of the greatness of the author. He tells of events (past, present, and to come) in a style unlike any other. Not much is said about that, however.

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
Sometimes it actually irritates me that Ray Bradbury is squeezed into the Science Fiction genre, because it creates a bias for people who may otherwise picked it up willingly . At my store, for no apparent reason, we have The October Country in Fiction/Lit, and Dandelion Wine residing in Sci-Fi. This makes little sense to me. Why don't we have Kurt Vonnegut in Sci Fi? His topics definitely have that tinge to them.

..and the children metallic in their beds.

Posts: 22 | Location: oregon | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to thank fjpalumbo for his/her post. My daughter, 13, resists reading and I am always racking my brains for something that will grab her interest. How could I have forgotten Ray Bradbury when his are some of my all-time favorite books? I'm heading out to get Martian Chronicles and see how she fares with that. Thanks for turning on the light.
Cheers.
Toni

Posts: 2 | Location: Fontana, CA USA | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My feeling is that Ray can personalize with the inner familiarity of our intimate joys, and fears this allows the reader to identify
with a character or situation. Mr Bradbury
then has such an expertise with his choice of metaphor, and vocabulary that his unique view can be fleshed out into a indelible moment. Fjpalumbo, I think your students while reading the Martian Chronicles are having fresh connections with Mr Bradburys
bright take on a possible Mars that sparks connections to what if this, or a possible that. I am glad that they are getting fired up about his work! More power to them

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 02-14-2002).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You seem just the person to ask the question I posted elsewhere on this board regarding "The Other Foot": The only unexplained thing (anyone who has recently read "The Martian Chronicles" feel free to jump in here) was why the white race didn't grab all the best Martian land first, as they traditionally do. Several unpleasant little run-ins with native unwelcoming committees would slow down, but not stop them. In "The Other Foot," the black people seemed to think they were the only humans on Mars, while other stories indicate the presence of whites who were responsible for wiping out the Martian race. I seem to remember at some point all the whites except Parkhill, his wife, and maybe a very few others such as the man in "Night Call, Collect," all either evolving into Martians, as in "Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed," or leaving at some point. Was the idea supposed to be that most people of Earth origin left and only a few individuals or isolated groups (such as the African-American colony) stayed and were out of contact with each other? So much for photographic memory; it's all gone sort of vague and hazy on me now....

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the "The Other Foot" I have always viewed the ironic outcome as a strong message being placed down by the author. When given the opportunity to get even, the Negro settlers- inhabitants of Mars have a huge decision to make. Ultimately, with the strong advice of his wife Hattie, Willie takes the higher ground. Ropes, guns, hateful billboard are all put aside.
With the earth destroyed by war and the white men migrating to Mars, Willie states: "The Lord's let us come through..and what happens next is up to us. We got to be something else except fools. Now everything is even. We can start all over again."

This is not to be seen as putting anyone in further positions of subordination. Humans have finally been awakened. (Dandelion may have accurately stated "evolved".)

Willie and the newly arriving (and hopefu) earthmen realize they "really see one another clearly for the first time." The time has come to get it right.

Then in The Martian Chronicles, the opposite is being said of Teece in "2003: Way in the Middle of the Air", as he views the departing rockets heading to Mars. He too has ropes, guns, vile epithets (which are still very close at hand and on the tip of his tongue). As he refuses to even look at the departing rockets, he feels he has finally rid "his world" of a lifelong problem.

Clearly, Teece is the one who has been socially and morally "left behind". He now has what he always wanted. However, the war (2005) that will eventually destroy earth is close at hand. (So what does he really get - What he deserved!?)

In a twist, this time "departing" Earthmen are taking a higher road. They do not strike out, rather they move on to a better condition. Teece is left holding empty shoes in his hands (tight fitting shoes, at that).

He sees himself as victorious. In his own mind, that is all that mattered, "Right up to the last..he called me, 'Mister'!"

If some things will never change - is this the darkest corner of human nature that needs attention (ie. Teece's views)?
Mr. Bradbury theads such references for us to ponder and sift through.

These topics discussed recently, my students spoke of these topics and proved to get the messages quite readily. They commented maturely and directly. So (just maybe) Mr. Bradbury's intentions are being captured and exhibited to a greater extent - more now than "then"!

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
Fjpalumbo, you seem to have had some experience teaching Ray's books. I don't know whether you saw my request on the Resources board ("teaching resources") or not, but I would love it if you could post some of your ideas for discussion/study of Ray's stories on the Message Board (or, alternatively, email me). I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
uncle:

Reading your posting about ...why we enjoy Bradbury, I have to heartily agree with the way you expressed it. Bravo!

fjpalumbo:

Of course, the TV mini series of "The Martian Chronicles"...didn't live up to expectations. Sorry for those who base their opinions on Ray from what they saw on the TV. I was over Ray's house first night of the telecast, and, in general, I can easily say that no one was overjoyed with the finished product.

Also, as many of us know, Ray says he doesn't write science-fiction, tho the publishers sure promote him as ...one of the greatest / ...the greatest science-fiction writer....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, the TV mini series of "The Martian Chronicles"...didn't live up to expectations. Sorry for those who base their opinions on Ray from what they saw on the TV. I was over Ray's house first night of the telecast, and, in general, I can easily say that no one was overjoyed with the finished product.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi all, new here.

I wonder if you were as heartbroken as I was by the miniseries. :-(

Posts: 1 | Location: Sisterdale, TX | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I was very young when Martian Chronicles aired and hadn't read the book or any of Ray's stuff for that matter...so I had nothing to compare it to.

I don't remember thinking the tv series was so great, but it was interesting and it got Ray's name in my head.

I saw it again recently and while it's definately a product of its time, there were some touches I liked, and it reminded me of my younger years.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember writing a brief essay of protest for school.

posted Hide Post
I was born in 1983, making me 19 years old. I've read a lot of Bradbury...not all of it (I envy the person who has), and in no way am I alienated by Bradbury's frequent returns to the early 1900's. I don't feel at all like a foreigner when reading his work. I feel like a child sitting on his grandfather's knee, hearing stories about the old days. The times were different, the technology was different, but the people were the same. Personally, I absolutely LOVE reading Ray's work describing that time period. It's like reading a history textbook......that's actually INTERESTING!

I don't really think Bradbury writes to please his fans, and maybe that's why some people don't like him. I'm quite sure that most respectable authors don't usually have an audience in mind when writing...the whole story just happens. When I read a novel or story, from any author, that I did not particularly enjoy, I usually ask myself, "What did the author INTEND to portray?" Then, usually, the minutes or hours spent reading weren't wasted at all. I notice the contrast between my ideas and the (assumed) ideas of the author, and I'm always able to gain something.

I haven't seen any TV adaptation of Ray's works, except "The Town Where No One Gets Off." (I'm hoping that was one of his stories...) I believe it was a Twilight Zone episode, and was very well done. In any case, I think it's sad that television butchers stories as they tend to do. I did see a modern (maybe made in 2000?) version of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and it didn't even begin to do justice to the book. I can only imagine how The Martian Chronicles fared so many years ago, lacking the special effects and movie technology of today.

fjpalumbo:::
Bravo for teaching a unit on such a wonderful book! On how many different levels can that novel be dissected? It's poetic, it's fantastic in metaphors and descriptions, the style of writing is certainly one-of-a-kind...I think nearly anybody who appreciates literature or poetry can gain something from The Martian Chronicles. Maybe that's why you're getting such an enthusiastic response...this novel appeals to all types of people.

Posts: 18 | Location: Utah | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Fascination" (As I began reading your post)I was thinking that you are close in age to those to whom I teach MC (17-18 HS Sr.) I am very pleased to hear your comment on the perspective you have in reading Mr. Bradbury's works -"not a foreigner!!!" (like listening to stories on your grandfather's knee.. Great!)

I just started the Martian Chronicles unit an hour ago and will keep your comments in mind as I get to the story again. It is timeless, poetic, and fantastic. So much of his writng is.

I have already read many of his stories to my young sons (5,7). (IE. Dinosaur Tales, Dandelion Wine, his children's stories, and s.s. like "The Rocket" that are imaginative and light of heart.) You need to readfrom Dino Tales, "So, You Say You Want To Grow Up to Be a Dinosaur" (A fine Child/Grandfather exchange!)

In Dandelion Wine, of course, Doug and his Grandfather are closest of all the Spaulding family.)

Keep reading and stay tuned with visits to this site.

fpalumbo