Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    WHY! Does Ray Inspire?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY! Does Ray Inspire?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Ray Bradbury speaks intimately to each who ventures to listen!

Indeed.

Venture is a good word. As is Ventura.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because his stuff appeals to both impressionable young folks AND adults. Always a sure-fire winner with that one.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! I was reading through this thread and saw some names I haven't seen for a while such as Wild Gravity and Robert Blevins only to realize that some of the dates were two years old. Wild Gravity where are you and what are you up to young lady?

What about Chapter 38 as I have't seen that name either for quite a while.

Please contact the board!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what happened to rocket?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All those mentioned above are missed.
Remember Grasstains?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper. Where did she go? She used to be very active.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspired daily!

"The Song of Wandering Aengus"
Wm. Butler Yeats

I went out to the hazelwood
Because a fire was in my head
Cut and peeled a hazel wand
And hooked a berry to a thread

And when white moths were on the wing
And moth-like stars were flickering out
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
And gone to blow the fire aflame
Something rustled on the floor
And someone called me by my name.

It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossoms in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And vanished in the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands
I will find out where she has gone
And kiss her lips and take her hand

And walk through long green dappled grass
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon
The golden apples of the sun.

My very first RB read, Golden Apples collection, ah..., just a few years -it seems- ago!
Thanks Mr. B!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one, Butch!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Imskipper, I am entranced with Ray's magical use of words and his eternal sense of wonder. He makes me remember what it's like to be a child and see everything anew.

I also love his spooky stories about the dark side of everyday things that we usually don't think of as having a dark side (like carnivals, attics doors, etc.). His imagination is truly wondrous!

When my students ask me why I like Ray so much, I, too, have trouble putting my answer into words. I usually suggest a book or two and hope they will fall in love with his stories, just as I did.

Posts: 2 | Location: Davison, MI | Registered: 05 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a good approach. Many of them will fall in love.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Inspired daily!

"The Song of Wandering Aengus"
Wm. Butler Yeats
Now that's a beautiful piece of writing---and just about any random line from that could be used as a title for a book! Pity Bradbury never used "The Silver Apples of the Moon" as a title to a companion volume to "Golden Apples of the Sun."

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoctobercountry:
...Pity Bradbury never used "The Silver Apples of the Moon" as a title to a companion volume to "Golden Apples of the Sun."

There's still time!

Actually, RB hasn't written much about the Moon. I guess the Moon was already being seen as a dead world during his formative years (as opposed to Mars and Venus, which were still portrayed as colourful, lively places in SF magazines right up to the 1940s).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post