Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    WHY! Does Ray Inspire?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHY! Does Ray Inspire?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
He is able to combine all the best aspects of every great literary and artistic work of the past with his own unique take on the world to fully illustrate what many people have felt and experienced but could not express. Yes, the fact that he gets into one's system IS a good thing, but he expresses so many things SO perfectly it's hard for any writer under his influence to try not to repeat him, let alone top him. Ray is not only a whole library in himself, he is a whole world and a whole UNIVERSE in himself at which most mere mortals must stand in awe.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 08-28-2004).]

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Ray Bradbury has changed my life in a few ways. I think that reading the book that I was required for school has really effected the way I have seen things today. If I wasn�t able to do something that I want, such as listening to music or drawing, I would be torn apart inside. Just imagining not being able to do the things I love make me realize how much I take them for granite. Now that I have read the book it makes me think about how lucky I am to be able to have the freedom that I do.

Posts: 1 | Location: lemont il usa | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
courtnic000

If you truly believe, deep down inside, what you are saying...and it's not mere 'feelings' pouring out with idealistic emotions, then you are wiser than your years. Some people don't ''get it'' until much of life has had its way with them. Freedom, to be freedom, must set with a moral compass. Otherwise one finds his darkest hours as his comforter. When I read parts of 'Fahrenheit 451', I find books being burned the likes of Dickens, and the heart of Poe. It's ironic, I find, that 451first appeared in Playboy, which never has held any moral sensibilities. It's a convulted image of Christ eating and drinking with the sinners, that Bradbury should have done business here. We see good in much of Bradbury's works. But when Bradbury hardly wonders today if there is a life after death, I am inclined to think if bad company corrupts good morals.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several topics are dealing with being inspired by Ray. But then I started wondering if anyone ever asked Ray himself why he thinks he inspires people. Besides the nearly cookie- cutter answer of doing things you love inspires others, or the love of his family that comes thru in his writings. Does anyone know of other answers he has given as to why he inspires the reader? Thanks.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Ray inspires because he's able to translate a real problem into a metaphor, or into a surreal problem. For example, "The Earth Men," from The Martian Chronicles. This crew from Earth has finally reached Mars, and wants to be congratulated.
*DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE STORY*

Except, he and his crew are put in an asylum, then shot by a doctor. Unfair, you say? Well, what if someone knocked on your door and said they were from Jupiter? Would you believe them?

A writer needs three things:
1) Imagination
2) Persistence
3) The ability to keep their mouth shut

Posts: 6 | Location: On my computer. Obviously | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray inspires, I believe, by showing that there can and SHOULD be more to life than the mere boring and ultimately pointless drudgery of repeating what went before. The story "Frost and Fire" alone is a complete illustration of this.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does Ray Inspire? That should be a question to ask the man himself.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply put, he knows the human heart.

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspiration is the by-product of a life well-lived.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's got the best muse love can buy.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is "What gives him the reason, or authority, or power?", I think it because he has been down in the Ravine ahead of us like Pipkin and he is leading, inviting and daring us to run and explore mysteries with him. Aren't we all those kids in Halloween costumes tumbling after Pip and Moundshroud and holding on to the Halloween kite?
I'm not sure which character Ray is- I believe he is in all of them but perhaps he likes to simply be one of the other children in disguise.
All kinds of answers to all kinds of "whys" here-
For me he is pure color and imagination. Ray is the antecdote for "no imagination". "Doctor, my imagination is stopped up", "Here, take this 'Ray Bradbury', works on contact".
I believe Ray arrived on Earth loaded with gifts and one of them is the gift to inspire. It's impossible to sort him out- I'm so glad he is with us.

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody’s right but you really nailed it, Victoria.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Viktoria and Chapter 31-

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite quote is: "Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down."

Do not fear to do what comes most natually to you, as that will ultimately give you the most joy in life. Wealth and power are not the most important things in a good life. Having the satisfaction to know that you did what you found joy in doing, did it as well as you could, and can now bask in the satisfaction of knowing that you gave it your best is the benchmark of a life well lived.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to think that Ray actually inspires people in different ways, depending on what work of Ray's made the most impression on that particular person.

For example, if a person identified mostly with 'The Martian Chronicles', then perhaps that reader would be inspired to work in the space program, or write sci-fi, or become an astronomer.

However, let's say another person identifies more with 'F-451'. Then maybe this person becomes a champion of free speech and cares little or nothing about space exploration.

Ray's effect on people differs because his work differs. There is a common thread throughout his work though, a sort of 'human' touch.

This 'differing work' separates Ray from other authors, many whom are known for a single piece of work or a common inspiration from all their work. Ray inspires from all directions, and in many different ways.

On a side note, when you mention a famous author from long ago, usually a single book is always remembered first. A hundred years from now, and likely far beyond, I personally believe the book everybody will remember first is F-451, because out of all Ray's work, this is the single book that almost everybody (except the evil book-burners) can identify with... Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post