Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Generous Donor of his Art to All.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Generous Donor of his Art to All.
 Login/Join

posted
I attended San Gabriel High School in the early 1960s, during the period when Ray Bradbury regularly appeared at student body assemblies. These are some of the most valuable and wonderful experiences I took away from the place. Two of the great ideas that hit me at the time were: (1) He advocated always taking the bus over driving, because this leaves one free to hear dialog naturally performed while not requiring the mechanistic ritual of driving and leaving the mind free to create at the same time. And, (2): He lived in nearby Pasadena at the time and kind of enjoyed the negative attention his neighbors gave him for failing to keep his lawn trimmed. We really didn't realize who this guy was at the time. But, when the took over the stage, everything else seemed to be eclipsed by his views on what were really such simple things that became so important because of the attention this somehow great man paid to them. What a gift it was to hear from Mr. Bradbury. Also, (3): Public libraries were perhaps the greatest American institution. I have since learned that my brother, a writer, has met Mr. B at authors seminars. So, the tradition of giving seems to be ongoing. I think it is good to take a lesson in that. Has anyone else had a similar experience and been able to hear fristhand in this way?

Posts: 2 | Location: Temple City, CA, USA | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one of Bradbury's great gifts has been to express original, simple ideas unapologetically; and to view things from two perspectives: (1) His own subjective take on things, and (2) A high sense of moral import. Things matter to him because human life matters.

I love listening to him. He has wit, charm, originality, and a keen intellect.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that human life matters to this author, but, beyond that, there is this whole other dimension that he wants to go off the written page and plunge into the task of making things better in the contemporary world by the spoken word. And to do this after it has become not a matter of financial necessity seems to be a great lesson. It's one worthy of emulation and that is why this author deserves the litteral following that your presence on this forum proves. I guess that's how the "inspiration" side hits me. And, as I think about it, it's a dimension that many of those on top of their professions exhibit, too. For example Bill Clinton goes to Ireland on his own to work out a foundation for peace, and one of our greatest living lawyers, Gerry Spence readily gives of his time and experience, feeling that a gift once received is incomplete "unti it is passed on." We live in the midst of many towering treasures of people, RB being one, and to the extent we follow the lead here, our lives have so much more meaning. But, I am a novice here, what do you think?

Posts: 2 | Location: Temple City, CA, USA | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with your comments, and appreciate the apparent good will behind them.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post