Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Davis Grubb

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Davis Grubb
 Login/Join

posted
Are any of you familiar with the writer Davis Grubb? I have always loved his work, probably because a lot of his stories are fantasy and remind me a lot of Ray Bradbury's stories. In fact, a few of my favorite Davis Grubb short stories, "The Boy Who Stole the Moon," "The Rabbit Prince," and "Where the Woodbine Twineth" could have been written by Ray Bradbury they sound so much like him--

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but that last made a great Alfred Hitchcock ep. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0394103/ I have several other appearances of the child actress from that on tape, that six degrees enough for ya?

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Viktoria said:
quote:
could have been written by Ray Bradbury they sound so much like him--

Ah...but they are NOT him, and therein, as Shakespeare said, lies the rub. (lol)

See a few classic writers Here, including Ray, whom we named the greatest science fiction writer of the 20th Century. Turn up your speakers for the music...
Just close the show to return. Have fun.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, RMB ~ Great production and wonderful images. Mr. B wins the prize, appropriately for all who cheer for him here.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto, Robert. Great presentation!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viktoria:
Are any of you familiar with the writer Davis Grubb?

Yes, Viktoria, indeed I am. Have been for many years. In fact, as I was reading his brilliant Night of the Hunter, I thought to myself, wow - he writes so much like RB! - beautiful stuff.

By the way, see the movie (directed by Laughton), it's probably one of my Ten Favourite Films.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I haven't seen the "Night of the Hunter" movie or the TV remake. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102533/

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did check out some of Grubb's work. I had to admit, his work is similar in some ways, and very good.
Maybe Grubb met Ray somewhere long ago and rubbed Ray's head for good luck... SmilerIt must have worked.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this recommendation. Just read the opening pages of Fool's Parade on Amazon, and you're right, very Bradbury in tone and style. Enough so that I felt instantly at home.

Just ordered Night of the Hunter (love the original film) Fool's Parade and a collection of short stories.

It's great when you're introducd to new writers. Thanks again.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 28 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, a wonderful film was made of Grubb's "Fool's Parade." Unfortunately, I don't think it ever made it to video or DVD, and the last time I saw it on TV was before the VCR era, or I'd have taped it in a heartbeat. Though it starred Jimmy Stewart and a host of wonderful character actors, Anne Baxter stole the whole movie as "Cleo," a riverboat madam fallen on hard times. She had painted-on black eyebrows, and she was so patriotic she made everyone who came to her floating brothel (only one girl, though) remove their hats in the presence of the huge American flag hanging on the wall ("We respect that around here.") Her whole life is saddened and embittered because she has never been allowed to join "the DARs," even though her many-times-removed great-grandmother served the Continental Army in the same way as Cleo, and died of an "infection." ("Just as honorable a wound as if she'd died in battle!" quoth Cleo.) According to Cleo, her grandmother had gotten that "infection" from a "splinter in her tit--from a pair of wooden teeth!" Cleo was sure the owner of the teeth was a "high-ranking officer--maybe a colonel!" Of course, these lines didn't get past the television censors, so Cleo only said her grandmother had died of an "infection." And, of course, the censoring made it sound far worse than it actually was! (My gods, I'd love to see "Fool's parade" again!)

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Davis was my cousin's uncle (other side of the family), her very cool and creative dad's brother. An odd duck, as I recall the comments. I read a short story collection of his in college, and have been utterly horrified by Night Of The Hunter on several occasions. How nice that Davis is remembered. I just recall shuddering at some of his stories--dark and tortured.

~I put the sweater on and watched the waves come up and fall down on the beach...Even a drunken man could not collapse with the elegance of those waves. ("The Lake," RB)

Posts: 4 | Location: NJ & WV | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post