Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Very distant cousins

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very distant cousins
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I have been a Ray Bradbury fan since I was very young. I am particularly attached to Martian Chronicles - we read the story "There Will Come Soft Rains" in grade school and I was instantly in love with it. I have owned several copies of the book, as I have often given it away to others, as I have many of my favorite books.

I am somewhat of a genealogy buff, and recently found out that Ray is my 9th cousin, once removed. We share a paternal ancestor (his 9th great grandfather is my 8th great grandfather).

What a fantastic discovery that was! Even though it's a very distant connection, I think that was one of the highlights of my family research.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 10 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father's first cousin was married to a
Bradbury . I just wonder how they were connected
I know nothing about my Father's cousin's husband . I know she hada daughter , but that's
all I know . I do not know where he was from or
anything ? Cool Big Grin Confused

Posts: 9 | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury is not such an uncommon name as you may think.

A friend of mine who has lived in Westwood, California area, has an uncle by the exact name, Ray Bradbury. And his last name and his brother's name are both Bradbury. There's been a fellow in the news in the last couple months involved in a court case by the name of Ray Bradbury. And the name Bradbury alone conjures up all sorts of people, including Malcolm Brabdury, the writer, as well as another Bradbury, the editor who first suggested to Ray that he connect all those Martian stories into a novel, perhaps calling it 'The Martian Chronicles'. There, too, an a non-family friend named Bradbury.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brabdury is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3/4 of the way down, you'll read about Walter BRADBURY, the fellow who suggested The Martian Chronicles to Ray.
http://www.raybradbury.com/articles_bestselling.html

Also, another famous BRADBURY, Christian composer William BRADBURY:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/bio/b/r/a/bradbury_wb.htm

Come to think of it, I may be Ray Bradbury's 1,832nd cousin. Why not?

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sign me up. I want to be a relative of some sorts as well. I'll settle, even, for the 5 digit qualifier.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hehe.

I do know it is the same Ray Bradbury. His genealogical tree is available on Ancestry.com

I don't know how ACCURATE that tree is, but for the sake of my cool points, I'm happy hoping it's accurate. :-P

Let me hold on to my dreams!

E

Posts: 2 | Registered: 10 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right. There are a lot of people named Ray Bradbury. Here's one I found.

http://www.thestraights.com/articles/bradburytrial88.htm

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post