Ray Bradbury Forums
Tribute: Why Am I the Last to Find Out?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/1087022716

27 June 2012, 01:23 AM
Robert M Blevins
Tribute: Why Am I the Last to Find Out?
I was so sad to hear about Ray's passing. Makes me feel like such a jerk, only finding out now. He didn't even make much on the national news, and that REALLY pisses me off. No kidding. The man was an icon, a part of American history, and so far they've slapped him around like a red-haired stepchild (the media) when they should have tossed together a quick review of his life for Discovery or History Channel. AT LEAST.

If I say any more about that, I would be banned. What the heck is wrong with these people? Are they too busy covering The Bachelorette or the frickin' Kardashians to put up a decent bio? Get real.

Ray Bradbury inspired me from Day One. That would be back in the early 60's at Catholic school. I started writing sci-fi after reading The Martian Chronicles, began trying stuff of my own on the nuns, and practically worshipped the man.

Later, I dedicated a book to him. I won't mention the title. That would be cheesy and cheap. I only say I love him, and I will miss him very much.

Thank you, Ray.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,
27 June 2012, 09:53 AM
douglasSP
Robert, the prez released a statement.

That's not bad, is it? I don't think Heinlein, Asimov or Clarke got one. Well, OK, Clarke was British, and he was knighted, but I think there was greater awareness of Ray's passing than of any other American SF writer so far.
27 June 2012, 10:49 AM
fjp451
Very well stated, RMB! I am sure there will be some full-length documentaries done in the coming months. Mr. Bradbury had so many cultural and literary accomplishments. They need to be visually presented and discussed. That's for sure.

I think back (several months ago) of reading Becoming Bradbury (Eller) and then immediately being overwhelmed by the exact images that are masterfully displayed in An Illustrated Life (Weist). I thought, "someone" must do an educationally related video that pays tribute to the most influential American author (across genres) of the past century. Who might that be to take on such a project...?

I first read RB as a ninth grader sent to the library in my parochial hs. It was either get something to read or else! (Back then, we never questioned what the "Or else!" was!) I walked out with a copy of Golden Apples of the Sun - brown cover with the skull, dinosaur, and volcano on a strange planet's surface. I have been reading and teaching his stories ever since.

"Love" is a very good word!
27 June 2012, 10:08 PM
dandelion
The president released a statement? Did anyone post it here?
27 June 2012, 11:01 PM
fanboy
I've really enjoyed watching the many videos of Ray talking about various subjects on youtube. I love listening to his words of wisdom and beauty.
27 June 2012, 11:54 PM
Robert M Blevins
I got a bit carried away there. It was tough, I'm sure you understand. I didn't know the President had released a statement.

You're right. Being spoken of by the Prez is better than Asimov or Clarke ever got. Bradbury's life was fairly complex, and he was still doing a lot of things and making many appearances even in his later years. I'm sure Discovery, History, or one of the other *good* (see: 'mostly intelligent programming') channels will do a feature. And probably AMC is already cranking up a special about the films made from his books.

It's difficult to post this stuff. I get the idea I'm not the only one who feels this way around here. However, it's also true that as long as your life on this Earth is celebrated and remembered, that you never really go away.

You just don't do personal appearances any more...(*hangs head*)
28 June 2012, 01:41 AM
tinkerbell
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
The president released a statement? Did anyone post it here?

President Obama's tribute was announced on the BBC News here and also appeared in British newspapers. I daresay philnic's mentioned it somewhere on the Board...
28 June 2012, 07:21 AM
douglasSP
“For many Americans, the news of Ray Bradbury's death immediately brought to mind images from his work, imprinted in our minds, often from a young age. His gift for storytelling reshaped our culture and expanded our world. But Ray also understood that our imaginations could be used as a tool for better understanding, a vehicle for change, and an expression of our most cherished values. There is no doubt that Ray will continue to inspire many more generations with his writing, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.”

President Obama, from L. A. Times.
28 June 2012, 10:25 AM
dandelion
Lovely!
28 June 2012, 10:36 AM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Blevins:
I got a bit carried away there. It was tough, I'm sure you understand.

LOL, you should have heard me cussing out BBC World News America for not mentioning it!

I found out only because

1) I have MSN as my home page and they post headlines daily. Often a big one will be featured at the top of the page, although a lot of those items are just articles and other stories. This was with the small rotating ones lower down, no picture or headline as with major news. Came up the minute I logged in but I think was not displayed even the whole day.

2) My sister, who I think learned of it the same way, called the house wanting to prevent me seeing it online but I'd already seen it. But, as I said, the item was small and easily missed if you didn't look just at the right time.

3) I heard it on NBC NIghtly News only because I was aware of it and knew to listen. It was a very small item buried in the news, not announced with the major news at the top of the program.

4) I'm on here twice a day and would have heard it here or on Facebook anyway.

No one from here contacted me directly--only my sister, who knew that I and my other sister were planning to see him and were going to ask Zee about arrangements as soon as we finalized plans for our trip, which we were doing that day. Just happening to hear the news alerted me to send Zee a sympathy message rather than asking about seeing Ray.

But still, honestly !
28 June 2012, 01:27 PM
philnic
There was a ton of news out there about Bradbury's death. Maybe not on US TV when you happened to be watching, but every website of every major newspaper around the world carried the story. BBC TV news in the UK had it in their main nightly bulletin. Obama made a statement, every luminary in the SF and entertainment world made a statement. I am just staggered that anyone could not have found out within 24 hours of his passing.

This very message board was flooded with reminiscences.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
29 June 2012, 06:53 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Blevins:
I was so sad to hear about Ray's passing. Makes me feel like such a jerk, only finding out now. He didn't even make much on the national news...

It was all over the media all day. You must have just missed it here and there! When I got the call at 6AM (about an hour and a half before it hit the wire) I immediately emailed some common celebrity friends so they wouldn't find out through the cold media (sorry, dandelion - I guess I just assumed you would know), including Stuart Gordon, who replied back to me later in the day and said "How could I miss this sad news? I don't think the Queen of England's passing would get as much press, or as loving."

"Live Forever!"
29 June 2012, 08:15 PM
Linnl
Mr. Blevins,

In case you didn't catch it later, PBS had a rather good conversation about Ray Bradbury on their Newshour that day:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb...ybradbury_06-06.html

Frankly, I would not mind learning the title of the book you dedicated to Ray Bradbury. Thanks.

Comment: Off topic. I think its best sometimes (and maybe frequently) to take a TOTAL media break.
05 July 2012, 02:01 AM
Robert M Blevins
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
Mr. Blevins,

In case you didn't catch it later, PBS had a rather good conversation about Ray Bradbury on their Newshour that day:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb...ybradbury_06-06.html

Frankly, I would not mind learning the title of the book you dedicated to Ray Bradbury. Thanks.

The 13th Day of Christmas
05 July 2012, 08:49 AM
dandelion
Well, he's been gone a month, I've been to the grave, where I held my own memorial with my own reminiscences, and it's still sinking in.