Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am an Australian teacher. Last year my son read Ray's Fahrenheit 451. He read it while in year ten at the age of 15. This year he is six months older and they have him reading some really childish novels.

Daniel read the book at home and then we watched the video and had a great time discussing some of the issues raised by Ray.

It would mean a lot to me if Ray could send Daniel a few words and I could show the school so they realise that boys and girls his age can understand some of Ray's concepts. This may have the positive effect of raising the overall reading level across the middle school. Then again it may fall on deaf ears. I suppose I can only try.

Tell Ray that I really enjoyed his Martian Chronicles. Daniel and I are both sci-fi freaks. Good sci-fi of course.

My son goes to a school called Lake Illawarra High School. His name is Daniel Carrion. I hope Ray has time to read this email.

All the best from Australia,

Emilio Carrion

Posts: 2 | Location: Warilla, NSW, Australia | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray isn't online, but I have seen to it he receives copies of some of the better discussions from this forum. I don't know how many of them he reads as he hasn't really responded to any. He did tell me by phone that his books are read by nine-year-olds in the original editions, which would seem to indicate he sees no need for simplification of his ideas or of keeping them out of the hands of younger readers.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, how is it that you have talked to ray on the phone?? could you ask him a question for me?? how is dandelion wine an autobiography of his own life?? cause i dont have a clue

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mon411, it has been said before on this message board, but in case you missed it, you should pick up a copy of the Avon Books re-issue of DANDELION WINE. In the Introduction, "Just This Side of Byzantium," Ray explains in his own words how his boyhood in Waukegan, Illinois inspired DANDELION WINE.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanx anyways, but my presentation's in 2 days and i cant waste mi money to just use it once. thanx anyways.

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can't find an edition of Dandelion Wine in your school or city library that features this introduction, you might also look for Ray Bradbury's ZEN IN THE ART OF WRITING, in which the piece is also featured.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mon411:::

"...waste my money........." ????????

Just to use it once should be a priviledge and a wonder....

come on, get with it......

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen to Nard's comment. Buying a copy of Dandelion Wine would hardly be a waste of money. Books are one of life's best investments, and Dandelion Wine is wonderful.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I pick up practically every book I can get cheap or free to trade to used bookstores for credit. In this way you can pick up used books practically free with no "waste."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with the "Coda" at the end of F451. I thought it was a comment by RB on outside pressures he received for changes "desired" in eventual updated editions. I did not realize for a few years the book was being sold, without RB's knowledge (???), in an altered state. The occasional use of expletives had been modified, the word "abortion" eliminated, and a few other less than PC references had been changed so as to make the book more palatable for schools and the general public!

It seems the ultimate irony, in view of what the book's main themes address. This occurred in the 70's, I believe. If accurate, how was this done without the author's permission and realization for what proved to be an extended period of time? Interesting I hadn't read this before. It was discussed in a book listing the top 100 Banned Books and the reasons for their selection.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it tell about the edition of "Little Women" during the 1880s, so probably while the author was still alive as Alcott lived until 1888, rewritten to eliminate references to unsavory practices, especially dancing? I understand copies of that version are still kicking around today.

posted Hide Post
Heard this on the car-radio today (November 26th, 2005) ...and thought of...What Else?

....."Fahrenheit 451"......!

It's an advertisement for TEXAS INSTRUMENTS. Seems they have a new projection TV with screens starting at 61 inches and up. And how does the advertisement go?

Well, there is this fellow who is calling..(is it 911?)...to say that 'tigers' are after him. Yes. 'TIGERS!" are going to EAT him... And finally the other person on the line convinces him that what is happening is that he has installed a TEXAS INSTRUMENT digital projection TV that that makes everything seem SoooREAL! (Shades of "The Veldt" as well!)

To that I say.....Oh yeah!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post