Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Appropriate Flowers
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appropriate Flowers
 Login/Join

posted
Close to the end of the month I will be traveling to Los Angeles and leave flowers for Ray.

As far as I can think, all he mentioned and the main flower with which he is associated are dandelions. Maybe geraniums but I think the place doesn't allow pots and these are not used in arrangements.

Can anyone name specific flowers in his works a florist might stock? All I remember is the "strange flowers" from "Forever and the Earth" and how I was challenged to find something suitably "strange" to place on Thomas Wolfe's grave.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how appropriate this would be for a grave, but there's always "farewell summer":

http://allyeargarden.com/farewell-summer/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He loved sunflowers. The last thing I read to him was his novella, "Somewhere a Band is Playing", with it's town full of sunflowers.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 16 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunflowers, of course! (I bet Dandelion has yet to read Farewell Summer and "Somewhere a Band is Playing" Frowner)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does anyone know if there will be a public memorial yet?

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
does anyone know if there will be a public memorial yet?

Yes, but the date isn't set in stone yet. Zee told me that they're leaning toward 8/22 or 10/31, which, she said, was the day he always said he should have been born!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I think Oct 31 would be wonderful!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Sunflowers, of course! (I bet Dandelion has yet to read Farewell Summer and "Somewhere a Band is Playing" Frowner)

You bet right, but he did mention his admiration of Van Gogh's sunflowers, and I have seen those in arrangements!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
Thank you, I think Oct 31 would be wonderful!

ANY place is beautiful in October! (And, if you ask me, L. A. is too darn hot in August!)

posted Hide Post
We're still firming up plans, but anyone who wants to contribute please PM me.

posted Hide Post
I would be grateful if someone could keep us posted about the memorial, there is a possibility I can make it to L.A. if it was on Oct 31.

posted Hide Post
If I still have free time (i.e. if I am still unemployed) when the memorial occurs, I shall make every effort to wend my way thither.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm expecting, indeed hoping, for August. It'll fill the hole left by the absence of a birthday celebration.

The sound of Summer running.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, on the other hand, would argue for October, since many folks will already have plans and commitments for August. But anytime would be good in the grand scheme of things.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I, on the other hand, would argue for October...

Too far away!

"Live Forever!"