Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Favorite book by Ray Bradbury?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite book by Ray Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, guys I decided to stick around for a little bit longer because want to know your favorite Bradbury books! Please comment!

Posts: 17 | Location: Connellsville | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'And The Rock Cried Out' is one of my favourites. Also 'By The Numbers' - both available in Bradbury's collected stories. You've such a treat in store for you, not least of which is the fact you don't have to analyse them for class!

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A Pink Orange:
Hi, guys I decided to stick around for a little bit longer because want to know your favorite Bradbury books! Please comment!

Hooray! Good for you, A Pink Orange.

Best Bradbury books:
THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN
THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES

(Ask me again tomorrow, and it might be a different answer. I keep changing my mind!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pink Orange and phil ~ Right! The one I am currently reading always seems the best. Each will create a different perspective and bring loads of images. Then the metaphors will be worth pondering for a very long time to come.

I recently finished Becoming Ray Bradbury, by Jonathan Eller, then was amazed by my immediate re-visit to Jerry Weist's, RB: An Illustrated Life...exact parallels (tons of pictures) with what I had read.

This happens with Mr. Bradbury stories and details about his life. They come back in friendly and unexpected ways. I am now planning a return to Something Wicked This Way Comes (only because I am listening to Macbeth as I drive). The Witches are magnificently vile. But, so too is Mr. Dark when he comes into town with his "Carnival!"

BTW, your "board name choice" is rather Bradburian!!
http://downloads.xdesktopwallp...k-Lines-Abstract.jpg

Something out of the space tales in Illustrated Man, maybe?! Keep reading...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished "A Pleasure to Burn". Stories that are not happy ones, though in some ways not fun to read, are priceless. People who avoid unhappy endings are, ostrich-like, avoiding (rightfully) scary warnings. Getting scarier, and more necessary.

What a good way to see two predecessor stories to F451.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Martian Chronicles.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm I just finished the last book in the inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini, which was an amazing book! I've got some down time so i'll look into these books when my school is done renovating our library next week. P.S. It's great that i don't have to analyze ray's books and how they inspired me. I got a D on that assignment too. which is not a good grade at all but that's in the past and I'm looking to the future!

Posts: 17 | Location: Connellsville | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@fjp

I like that background link, It's goes well with my name!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A Pink Orange:
...I got a D on that assignment too. which is not a good grade at all but that's in the past and I'm looking to the future!

As Ray would say, "Onward!"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Death is a Lonely Business." Everything really, they have all reached me, but that's my Anti-Suicide book. I need to replace it, my copy's gone, lost in the past couple of moves. Not that he couldn't use the royalties. I hope it's available on Kindle, currently living in a rather small room with too few shelves.

I also loved that back cover photo where he's grinning like a nine year old going on eighty and holding a happy black cat. I love cats. The cat is as happy as he is. You can tell when a cat wants to be in the picture or in someone's arms - that's a happy black cat.

It was cool to find out he likes cats too. Makes sense though, people think they're aloof when they're just tactful.

Cats can tell if you're actually working on something or slowing down for a pause. A good cat will actually interrupt bad attitude and be quietly supportive when the work is going well. They also say a cat never sleeps on a bad manuscript.

Robert A. Sloan
Author of Raven Dance
WIP: Sabertooth
lives with his shaggy Siamese muse, Ari, who sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration on you!

Posts: 5 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was first hired to teach HS English (a few years ago!!), I entered the book storage room looking for "anything" that would get me going. Resting up against a wall was a collection of about twenty or so of this exact edition.

The very first RB I taught. http://www.wordandfilm.com/wp-...y-dandelion-wine.jpg

RE: http://www.who2.com/sites/defa...5/dandelion_wine.jpg

The irony was, they had been placed near the doorway for elimination!! (The image in my mind of the stack of DW's is as clear today as it was that day.)

They had been used by a recently retired teacher and, it seemed, had not seen much use in their recent years. I taught the title until last year when last the lights went out and keys turned in.

I wore that original copy out and re-ordered (along with numerous other RB titles during my tenure), this publication: http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/...lsize/dandelion2.jpg

Thanks, Mr. Bradbury!Smiler

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post