Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Re-cast Something Wicked.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-cast Something Wicked.
 Login/Join

posted
It was fun with "Fahrenheit 451," so let's play the game again with "Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Who would be your ideal cast and crew for a new bigscreen production of SWTWC?

The Casting Game could be fun to play on occasion with any of Mr. Bradbury's stories.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fun game to be sure, but honestly, how can you do better than Jason Robards? Or the absolutely marvelous Jonathon Price? I mean, c'mon, that scene in the library where Price is tempting Robards with a second chance at youth if he gives up his son, ripping pages from a book as they burst into flame-- you simply cannot do any better. That was two world-class actors, perfectly suited to their roles living some dazzling writing. You could of course do it differently, you might do it as well if you were extraodinarily lucky, but I don't think you could ever surpass it. Not to throw cold water on the game, but why not recast something that NEEDS recasting? ;-)

2cents

rob

Posts: 4 | Location: Milwaukee, WI. United States | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
robertbundy

When you think about the notion that Ray wanted Frederico Fellini to direct '''Something Wicked'''.... the cast would be, shall we say, 'unthinkably' imagined by mortal man.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Robert about the actors, particularly Jonathan Pryce. The only actor who seriously disappointed me was Shawn Carson. Perfect looks, very cute, but I don't think he really "got" Jim.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points, the library scene is one of my favorites in all of moviedom. I was just going off of a random thought that M. Night Shyamalan could make a pretty decent version.
But - if no takers then how about something that's never been filmed?
"From the Dust Returned," for instance.
that could prove interesting and challenging.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Greentown Illinois,

Wow, I agree, M. Night Shyamalan is an ideal director for Ray's work. What a great marriage of sensibilities. Good call.

Posts: 4 | Location: Milwaukee, WI. United States | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be fun to see him do "From the Dust Returned".

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about John Lithgow as Uncle Einar?

Andy

posted Hide Post
id like older kids for will and jim this time. they looked so young in the movie, and will was REEEEAAAALY ugly. lets say.......oh, i dont know......... i dont think any kid actors can be serious enough for these rules. maybe someone new would pop up.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting back to Shyamalan - he directs children well. He'd find the right kids.

Terry O'Quinn or Robin Williams as Mr. Dark.
Sigourney Weaver as the Dust Witch.

Andy

posted Hide Post
Mr Dark:
Gary Oldman

Will's dad (sorry not good with name's):
John Hurt

Will: any oddball kid actor who is not too odd to the point of being unlikable.

Jim: someone like River Pheonix.. or in other words a child that seems to have matured too quickly, beyond their years, you know. Basically a kid that knows more than he really should.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't help but keep wondering how Elijah Wood would have done as Jim.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Dark:
Mr Dark

Dust Witch:
Dandelion

The rest...still thinking.
Cheers, Translator

PS - No offense intended to anyone. I'll be glad to play the least likable role.

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by From Greentown Illinois:
How about John Lithgow as Uncle Einar?

Wow! I think John Lithgow would be a perfect Uncle Einar.

Posts: 79 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post