Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Themes in two of his short stories...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Themes in two of his short stories...
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, this is more of "I have an essay to write and I am stuck and need some help" type of post. We have an essay to write that...

"Based on your studies, draw a well-considered conclusion about this author’s work. This will be the main idea, the Thesis, of your paper. I recommend that you focus on the author’s preference for a theme OR a character type OR a type of symbolism in the two stories you are comparing."

I have to write this paper on "The Veldt" and "Sound of Thunder". We have to do these stories. Any ideas on the themes etc. of these two short stories that connect? Here is another piece from the requirements,

"Please be aware that although you are to focus on an important similarity between the stories that suggests something interesting about this author’s work, you must briefly address obvious differences in the stories to avoid oversimplifying your analysis".

I am stuck because these two stories are different and I am no good at coming up with themes to write about.

Any help contributing toward this paper is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Posts: 3 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McRose:
...I am stuck because these two stories are different...

Hi McRose, and welcome. As you probably know, on this forum we don't like to do people's homework for them - however, we do like to discuss Bradbury's stories, and we will happily exchange ideas with you.

You've said the stories are "different". but do you see ANY similarities between them? Tell us about it, so we will know that you have actually read the stories in question.

(I can see at least one HUGE similarity.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You've said the stories are "different". but do you see ANY similarities between them? Tell us about it, so we will know that you have actually read the stories in question.

I have read both stories in question, multiple times. The only similarity that I can come up with (this is probably not the one you are thinking of) is that technology can destroy humanity. This because in "The Veldt" the nursery's projects the kids thoughts into something so real and full of life. When George threatens to take it away, the kids use their imagination and the nursery to kill their parents. And in "Sound of Thunder", if they didn't have time machines, Eckels wouldn't have trampled the butterfly stuck to his boot, changing the course of human history forever.

Sorry if this isn't the similarity you were thinking of. If it is the similarity, any idea how I can turn the theme into a six or more page paper?

Thanks for discussing, letting me know there is an actual similarity.

Posts: 3 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, that's not the similarity I was thinking of, but it's a pretty good one.Is it really that technology can destroy humanity? Or is is that we deploy technology badly? Bradbury was often accused of being anti-science or anti-technology, but it's usually not the technology that screws up so much as the people. I think there's a rich debate here, especially if you look at the stories in terms of who is "to blame" for what goes wrong and people getting their comeuppance.

(The big similarity I was thinking of is the animals: lions in "The Veldt", dinosaurs in "A Sound of Thunder". There might be some value in discussing how these creatures are shown - but it's probably not as rich as the ideas discussed above.)

Well done for actually reading both stories - most people who come here with "homework" questions are trying to avoid reading the stories, which is ridiculous of course.

Feel free to bounce your ideas around some more, and I'm sure some other people will join in the discussion!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bradbury was often accused of being anti-science or anti-technology, but it's usually not the technology that screws up so much as the people. I think there's a rich debate here, especially if you look at the stories in terms of who is "to blame" for what goes wrong and people getting their comeuppance.

Thanks so much. I can totally see the idea in that. Technology does not go around killing people. People kill people with the tool of technology, only if the victims are blinded. (figuratively)

I appreciate your discussion!

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Glad to help. When you've developed your essay, please come back here and share some of your findings.

- Phil