Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Poetry Collections

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poetry Collections
 Login/Join

posted
Good morning. I was looking for some advice regarding Mr. Bradbury's poetry. I have read a grand total of two of his poems, both of which were "good" (in the opinion of someone who doesn't typically read poetry).

I seem to be having a very difficult time finding any collections of his poetry in any bookstores. Before I go to greater lengths to find & buy something, I was wondering if Ray's poetry gives the same feeling or "vibe" that his other works do.

I'm afraid I'll find his poetry (and anyone else's for that matter) boring. What do you think?

Posts: 54 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrerw, it depends upon your personal taste and what you are looking for. Ray's poetry is more traditional in the sense in that it usually rhymes and has cadence to it. If you are interested in more modern "free verse", you will probably not like Ray's poetry. I find it very enjoyable, entertaining and interesting. And, sometimes, such as in the case of his poem, "Remembrance" (which originally appeared in the collection WHEN ELEPHANTS LAST IN THE DOORYARD BLOOMED), quite moving. I suggest you pick up a copy of Ray's most recent poetry collection published by Stealth Press, THEY HAVE NOT SEEN THE STARS (a very handsome book, containing poems that had previously been published in separate, long out-of-print editions), and check his poetry out for yourself.

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"They Have Not Seen the Stars" is exactly the book I've had my eyes on, but I've only seen signed/limited editions for a hundred bucks or more.

posted Hide Post
Hi. I took a quick look around and found that The Mystery Book Store in Westwood CA has a copy of the paperback edition @ $29.95. Item number is below:
1588810380 They Have Not Seen The Stars: The Collected Poetry Of Ray Bradbury By Ray Bradbury
The Mystery Bookstore:
1036-C Broxton Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90024
I own the limited edition and it was a great read.
(800)821 9017 http://mystery-bookstore.com

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite sources for cheap books:
www.amazon.com
www.addall.com
www.alibris.com
www.abe.com
www.ebay.com
www.half.com

If you shop around all these carefully before deciding on any one edition, you can find some great bargains.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect! Thank you guys very much!