Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What's going on?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's going on?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
AHA! Does anyone else have a Gold Key? I seem to have acquired moderating means! Too bad it's so different from the old system I'm not smart enough to figure out all of it! I'll start by seeing if I can delete an unwanted topic and then worry about how to edit individual posts!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mission accomplished. More to come.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huzzah!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you can, and if you can, Dandelion, please fill us in on the intricacies of being Moderator on the New Board. Congratulations on the current promotion.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am just thrilled silly that a Gold Key is the chosen icon for Administration, considering the "Electric Grandmother" connection.

Can I fill you in? "No--but aren't keys fun?"

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, many congratulations!! but where is this golden key you have mentioned? I can not see it, but then I'm the first to admit I haven't figured everything out yet on this new board.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the row of options on top of the posts, to the right of "Reply."

posted Hide Post
Did anyone have trouble logging onto this board, and how did you overcome it? The following message is from someone trying to enter:

"I signed up for the service and the board, but each time I try to post I get the same rejection message __ guestname is mandatory and to go back. Then my work is wiped out -- and there is no field for GUEST NAME."

We know asking anything of Infopop is useless. Can anyone here help with the dilemma, or on Monday should I try to contact the "tech person" at HarperCollins?

posted Hide Post
In searching for the thread "Deletions: What Goes, What Stays," to update the rules, I noticed that although there were four on the old board, one for EACH forum, only one turned up in the search, on "Resources." The ones on the old forum were various lengths, some with replies, some not. The "Resources" one by far had the most replies. Perhaps the "importer" weeding out identically-headed threads and picking only the one with the most replies could account for some of the numbers discrepancy between what was on the old forums and what ended up here, but there can't have been more than a handful of identically-headed threads. (And no one ever checked only the posts on each board before the BIG DAY to exactly compare numbers.)

posted Hide Post
I think this was mentioned before, but I gotta ask again, when everyone switched to the new board, did it start numbering posts with #1 again and not credit your previous accumulation of posts on the old board? If so, is it really possible I've posted over 2,500 times JUST on the new board?!?

posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

I don't think the numbers started over. There's no way I've posted over 500 times on this new board.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moderator update here. It is not being taken care of, but it is being looked into.

The situation is, an excellent HarperCollins employee, Julia Bannon, was in charge of author websites. I talked to a very nice lady at HarperCollins today and Julia is SORELY MISSED! She left and was replaced by Kelly Jones. I only so much as %$#@&!! spoke to Kelly Jones once before she left the company, just prior to the holidays. So as of now, this (Julia's former) position is unfilled.

Regarding the missing posts on the "Ruled Paper" thread, I discussed a plan to restore ourselves the ones which went missing before the move but no one understood it. Then after the big move and more lost or "missing" posts, I said, you know what, let's not, let's let a tech at HarperCollins handle it. Right now I have no way of contacting any such tech until the position is filled. I did fill out a support card at Groupee and they can't do anything without the owners, that is, whoever is in charge at HarperCollins. All I've done is to leave a message with a HarperCollins employee saying to contact me if and when the position is filled.

The plan, such as it is, is to wait a "reasonable time" to learn if the position is filled. If not, I will put forth in as plain and forthright English of which I am possibly capable my plan to restore the posts which went missing on a large scale. As for anything that may have disappeared on a small scale, by ones and twos, I feel less motivated as "no one's minding the store," but I hate to think of any of the excellent resource this board continues to provide, now entering its fifth year, going by the wayside or being wasted. I'd like to take care of it all myself, but I have so much to do, some of it may have to be delegated.

I will continue to stress to anyone in a position to do anything about it the importance of preserving the old board--for one, because it's our only source for some of the posts which never survived the import to this one--for another, certain individuals prefer it. From what I could tell from my one conversation with Kelly Jones, she was in favor of getting rid of the old board and having this as the ONLY board.

Forewarned is forearmed: I'm going to try to find out how to copy website contents and see if I can make my own duplicate of the old board. But, let's hope it stays up and the next person to fill the position is sympathetic to its existence.

posted Hide Post
As of now, the old message board is still there. I used to visit it twice a day. Now I just show up once every week or two to dust and clean up.

posted Hide Post
I think I like the old boards a little better. Frankly, technically-speaking, I'm less than nuts about both of them. No icons/signatures, almost no control over posting options, bizzare forum names with no real organization...
Not to complain or anything.

-----------------------------

Posts: 32 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware. | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark and Nard, we need a good word from both of you!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post