Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Can you imagine...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you imagine...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
When I first wrote the post I certainly was not knocking the success of Rowling's Harry Potter series. My comment (or question) was "Can you imagine what it would be like" if one of Ray's books had the same kind of response that the Potter books have.

Any book that will kindle the desire for someone to read, young or old, is great. And yes, Ray has enjoyed years of success, but what if...

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Plane,
I believe I understand your point and the motive thereof. It's my belief that, again, not knocking Ms. Rowlings or her talent, that the style, quality, and variety of Mr. Bradbury's writing obviates its being marketed in the same way as the Potter books. Perhaps if he had written a series of novels with recurring characters (developed as only he could!), ongoing plots, etc, who knows?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, his only "series" is the mystery novels: "Death is a Lonely Business," "A Graveyard for Lunatics," "Green Shadows, White Whale," and "Let's All Kill Constance." It was so little identified as a series some fans didn't even recognize it as one.

As a kid I'm sure I would have thrown myself into the Potter series. As an adult, let alone one suffering a guilt complex for not having thought of something as good myself, I am a moderate fan. Saw the first three movies, some twice, and read the books.

I have CAREFULLY avoided learning who dies in Book 4. I have an idea I know who it is but want to see if I'm right. I understand someone very popular dies in Book 6 and there is worldwide grief as fans are now finishing up the book. Perhaps it's too much, considering the amount I have to do and the relative slowness with which I read, to hope to get through these three massive tomes, even though they go quickly, without an accidental spoiler, but will be pleasantly surprised if I manage it.

Some there are who do not know...(remember Stephen King's "Misery"?)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We may be comparing apples to oranges here. I have no idea how many of Ray's books sell each year. This is usually a BIG secret with all publishers, who are reluctant to give out sales figures.
I'm sure the numbers of Ray's books still selling, even nearly fifty years after their release, is substantial.
Also, when paperbacks sold for seventy-five cents to a buck fifty, publishing houses didn't spend millions on promotion.
In the long haul, someone from Ray's family or estate will be depositing royalty checks another fifty years from now. (Of course, we hope Ray himself will be around to actually collect the checks!)
Mr. Bradbury is the type of writer whose books will still be selling long after they have gone into the public domain...
JK-Ok.
Bradbury vs. JK?
Not even close...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Publishers don't like to give out sales figures?

How do the New York Times and Publisher's Weekly do their bestseller lists?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a very good question! I believe they do it mostly by reports of sales by retail outlets and bookstores. Most publishers guard sales figures by individual authors/books more closely than Coca-Cola guards their exact formula...

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post