Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury Landing

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Landing
 Login/Join

posted
NASA honored Ray today by naming Curiosities landing spot Bradbury Landing. So cool!

http://twitpic.com/amjkm6

[Edited by philnic to correct typo in Bradbury's name!]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

Posts: 10 | Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: 09 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At first I thought the Twitpic/tweet might be a joke or a hoax, but I went to the NASA and JPL websites, and they both reproduce it, so it seems to be legit.

In which case, I say thank you to Curiosity out there at Bradbury Landing!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just caught the end of the NASA press conference (started at 11.30am PST and finished about 50 minutes later). They concluded with a two-minute clip of Ray's last visit to JPL where he got to play with the Mars rover. A fantastic tribute!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did check it out first. I'd also gotten a tweet from NASA as a second source.

According to a followup, many on the team were inspired by Ray and wanted to honor him. I love that, throughout the mission, it will be Bradbury Landing on Mars.

Posts: 10 | Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: 09 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sharon, I didn't mean to imply that you were a hoaxer! Right now, Bradbury Landing is centre screen on the main NASA homepage, at www.nasa.gov

- Phil

posted Hide Post
No problems. I'm not a regular here so just assuring you that I'm careful.

posted Hide Post
It was announced on the NBC Nightly News.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was very fortunate to have been with Ray almost every Saturday night for the last three plus years of his Pandemonium Theatre performances. The Fremont Theatre was in South Pasadena, within five miles of JPL/NASA, CalTech and the Planetary Society. Some of our greatest minds would come to see the play and would be like little kids when they got to meet with Ray afterwards at the reception. I can safely say that we are exploring Mars today in great part to Ray’s inspiring boys and girls of all ages.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From this morning's paper:

http://www.latimes.com/news/sc...1941.story?track=rss

Bradbury had always been a friend to Jet Propulsion Laboratory, said Mars Science Laboratory project manager Pete Theisinger. At a news conference Wednesday, officials played a clip from the arrival of Mariner 9 at Mars in 1971, attended by the likes of Bradbury and physicist Carl Sagan.

“I was hoping that during the last few days, as we got closer to Mars and the dust cleared, that we’d see a lot of Martians standing there with huge signs saying, ‘Bradbury was right,’ ” the author joked at the time, to loud guffaws from the audience.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard this wonderful news this morning at about 3:00 am while returning from D.C. When time allows, I will share some RB moments over the past week that were beautifully lit with the release of the "Bradbury Landing!" honor.

MARS IS HEAVEN, Indeed!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick visit to Mars with the "latest photos" from Curiosity. The clarity of the images is really amazing and makes one wonder what will be found in the coming months!!

Photo #5 is especially significant to all on board here:
http://www.space.com/17518-mar...d-planet-photos.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
A quick visit to Mars with the "latest photos" from Curiosity. The clarity of the images is really amazing and makes one wonder what will be found in the coming months!!

Photo #5 is especially significant to all on board here:
http://www.space.com/17518-mar...d-planet-photos.html

I've already taken the liberty of downloading another photo of Bradbury Landing from nasa.gov and had a 12x12 print made for the den.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
jkt ~ Nice!