Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Terry Pace/Ray Bradbury/Norman Lloyd
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terry Pace/Ray Bradbury/Norman Lloyd
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I read an interview with Norman Lloyd where he listed the "ingredients" that went in there...

What were those magickal mix-ins?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone out there attended this University of North Alabama event, the rest of us would enjoy hearing about how it went. It sounded great!

Posts: 2460 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll post a full report and a number of photos very soon. In the meantime ...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all that's been going on at school (and, of course, farther away with Uncle Forry), I still haven't had a chance to post a full report and photos from our "Jar" reunion festivities from Halloween Week.

However, I did want to note that Ray's longtime friend and frequent collaborator Norman Lloyd celebrated his 94th birthday yesterday (Nov. 8). We spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes yesterday evening. He had finished his twice-weekly routine (Wednesdays and Saturdays) of playing three rounds of tennis and was about to enjoy a birthday dinner with Peggy, his wife of (get ready for this) 72 years.

I'm confident there's a portrait of Norman aging away in his attic, because the 94 years certainly aren't evident on the man himself!

Terry Pace

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At long last I have finally posted a full (or at least fuller) report on these two pre-Halloween events -- the two-hour onstage interview with Norman Lloyd, followed the next night by the special screening of "The Jar" and the reunion of surviving participants from the Emmy Award-winning ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR favorite from 1964.

You can read my basic, bottom-line report and (much more importantly) view about a dozen or so photos on the Classic Horror Film Board (where I seem to be able to navigate photographic images much more deftly than I can on these boards).

Anyway, if you're interested, check out ...

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/18746?page=1

Speaking of the Classic Horror Film Board, I would love to see these companion programs nominated for a Rondo Award for best event this year. Hint, hint, Monster Kids ...

Terry Pace

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pillar of Fire sent out this belated "thank you" newsletter to our e-mail list earlier today:

To Friends and Supporters of Pillar of Fire:

More than a month later (and now that exams are over for the semester ...), I have finally posted a dozen or so photos and a full report on the two recent Norman Lloyd events – the one-on-one onstage interview THE PLUMMETING MAN: a CONVERSATION WITH NORMAN LLOYD and the all-star screening, reunion and panel discussion SPELLBOUND: THE HYPNOTIC POWER OF "THE JAR," a celebration of the Emmy-nominated ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR episode produced and directed by Norman and based on the macabre horror story by Ray Bradbury. The back-to-back events were presented on the University of North Alabama campus the week before Halloween, co-sponsored by UNA Distinguished Events and Pillar of Fire.

My short report and several photos are posted on the Classic Horror Film Board, a vigorous, affectionate, thought-provoking online forum for authors, actors, directors, artists, historians and devoted fans of the classic sci-fi, horror and fantasy genres. You don't have to be a registered member to view the text and photos (you do have to be registered to post a response). To view, simply click on the link and scroll down to the two photo posts dated 12/14/08 and 12/15/08 (there are a few brief responses between the two photo galleries):

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/18746

As you can see, in addition to the legendary Mr. Lloyd (who turned 94 a little more than a week after his visit), the "JAR" reunion at UNA featured two other beloved film and television stars who appeared in the ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR episode – actors James Best and George Lindsey (a graduate of UNA) – plus members of the family of the late "JAR" star Pat Buttram (like George, a native of northwest Alabama), a live (and lively) telephone interview with Ray and a warm written greeting from leading actress Collin Wilcox Paxton (who was intimately involved in the planning stages and extremely supportive of the events, but was unable to attend in person or participate in a filmed pre-recorded interview due to a sudden illness in her family).

I'm very happy to say that every surviving major participant from that landmark 1964 television adaptation of "THE JAR" was somehow represented that evening. The HITCHCOCK HOUR drama (cited as the suspense master’s favorite episode from the 10-year run of his series) was based on Ray's original 1944 short story, first published in the pages of WEIRD TALES magazine. James Best played Tom Carmody, a lusty Louisiana Lothario who has his eyes on Collin's character, the restless, hot-blooded, unhappily married Thedy Sue Hill. Less than a year before he joined the cast of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, Hollywood newcomer George Lindsey (who celebrates his own birthday this Wednesday) stole the show with his heartbreaking portrayal of sweet-natured backwoods simpleton Juke Marmer. "THE JAR" remains George's favorite dramatic role.

Sadly, scriptwriter James Bridges (who faithfully adapted Ray's chilling tale), Pat Buttram (who played the leading role of Thedy's weak-willed husband, middle-aged bayou bumpkin Charlie Hill), William Marshall (Jahdoo), Slim Pickens (Sheriff Clem Carter), Jane Darwell (Granny Carnation), Jocelyn Brando (Emma Jane), Sammy Reese (another Alabama-born actor, cast in the role of Milt Marshall), Carl Benton Reid (Gramps Medknowe) and Billy Barty (the Carnival Barker) are all gone. (It is to Norman’s eternal credit that he asked Arkansas native Jim Bridges to write the script for this Southern gothic tale and populated the cast with Southern-bred players.)

The only other probable survivor of "THE JAR" is child actress Marlene De Lamater, who played Eva Anne, the little girl who dramatically declares that the carnival jar is inhabited by "the ... boogie man!" So far I have been unable to locate Ms. De Lamater's present whereabouts, but I do hope to find her eventually and interview her for my upcoming book on Ray’s work in theatre, film, television and radio.

We hope you enjoy the photos and the fond memories posted on the CHFB, and thanks again to each of you who attended and supported this very special collaborative project between UNA and Pillar of Fire.

In addition to our extremely gracious celebrity guests and contributors, special thanks to UNA's president, Dr. Bill Cale, his able assistant Brenda Baker, and Debbie Chaffin, who chairs the UNA Distinguished Events Steering Committee, for their leadership, support and peerless hospitality.

We would also like to express admiration and appreciation to:

• UNA's top-notch staff of technical artists – Brian Ford, Kris Robertson and Ben Flippo – who made everything run so smoothly and professionally on both nights.

• Our ingenious and impeccable Pillar of Fire artist, George Chastain, who designed our inspired and stunning poster for the dual events.

• Our friend Nancy Sanford, executive director of the Florence-Lauderdale Public Library, and her superb library staff for allowing us to host the NORMAN LLOYD AND FRIENDS film and television screening series for eight weeks leading up to the two main events on campus.

• Amy Butler, UNA’s interim director of library services, Louise Huddleston and the rest of the Collier Library staff for hosting a ceremony commemorating Pillar of Fire’s presentation of a large number of signed scripts, posters, photos and other memorabilia honoring the careers of “JAR” talents Norman Lloyd, James Best and Collin Wilcox Paxton.

Those items are now part of an impressive collection that already included rare scripts and other items donated by George Lindsey and other friends of UNA and Pillar of Fire, including Ray Bradbury, Oscar winner Ernest Borgnine, SLING BLADE and CRAZY IN ALABAMA actor Lucas Black, special-effects maestro Ray Harryhausen (MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS), author and film historian David J. Skal (HOLLYWOOD GOTHIC, THE MONSTER SHOW, CLAUDE RAINS: AN ACTOR'S VOICE) and beloved editor, publisher, film historian, archivist and “Mr. Sci-Fi,” Forrest J Ackerman, who died Dec. 4.

• My sweet dad, Ronald Pace, who served as the Bests' faithful chauffeur from the start of their visit to the finish. They became fast friends ...

Most of all, thanks to my amazing and multi-talented wife Anita, who worked tirelessly day and night to help fulfill my lifelong fascination with Ray's strange story of "THE JAR" (an obsession that previously inspired an independent study in graduate school, a portion of my master's thesis and my debut as a professional playwright) and honor the gifted individuals who secured this tale's unforgettable place in television history.

Happy Holidays!
Terry Pace

"I’ve never forgotten the effect of ‘The Jar.’ " – Stephen King

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." – Ray Bradbury

posted Hide Post
I am very pleased and honored to announce that "The Jar" reunion has been nominated for one of the Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards presented by the Classic Horror Film Board.

Naturally, all of us at Pillar of Fire and the University of North Alabama who were involved with THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR reunion program, SPELLBOUND: THE HYPNOTIC POWER OF "THE JAR," are ecstatic over the Rondo nomination for Best Fan Event. We deeply appreciate the recognition and support from everyone associated with the Classic Horror Film Board.

To vote (it's open to anyone with an interest), or simply to view the ballot, visit www.rondoaward.com or the Classic Horror Film Board at http://classichorrorfilmboard.com/. In addition to our event, Bradbury fans will find much to admire and consider among nominees in many of the other categories, from a recent Ray Harryhausen book to a groundbreaking article on the spider-pit scene from KING KONG to my friend Mark Berry's even more historic piece on the last surviving creative contributor to that imagi-movie masterpiece. (In other words, vote for Mark, too!)

The "Jar" reunion we organized and presented was definitely a labor of love on every level, from the Pillar of Fire volunteers and university faculty and staff who worked so tirelessly on the program to our all-star lineup of warm, eager and incredibly generous and enthusiastic celebrity participants – legendary director-producer Norman Lloyd, cast members James Best and George Lindsey (Norman, Jimmy and George all joined us in person), plus our friend and inspiration Ray Bradbury – the remarkable author of that eerie original chiller from the pulp pages of WEIRD TALES – who participated in the post-screening panel discussion by phone from Los Angeles.

A third cast member – Thedy Sue Hill herself, Collin Wilcox Paxton – was unable to attend due to scheduling conflicts, but she contributed her own memories, reflections and insights through a beautiful e-mailed letter that I quoted during the discussion. We also honored in the audience several close relatives of the late "Jar" star Pat Buttram, who played the leading role of Charley Hill, the cuckolded country bumpkin who discovers strange and awesome power in a mysterious carnival jar.

Last but certainly not least, special thanks to our peerless Pillar of Fire artist, George "E-gor" Chastain, who created yet another of his eye-popping poster designs. Photos from the event as well as George's E-gorgeous artistry can be viewed on the "Norman Lloyd Appearance and Reunion Screening of 'The Jar' " thread in the CHFB's Horror Events folder, http://monsterkidclassichorror...yuku.com/topic/18746.

Ray contributed some special program notes on "The Origins of 'The Jar,' " and I'll try to post those later today or tomorrow. Anita also plans to post some video clips from the reunion on YouTube in the next few days, so that those who were not able to join us in person can experience and enjoy the fiendish festivities for themselves.

In the meantime, just F.Y.I. ...

We talked to Norman (who is especially thrilled over the Rondo nomination) earlier this week, and he told us that he will be interviewed on this weekend's edition of what is arguably the best – and certainly the classiest – news magazine on television, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, hosted by Charles Osgood. The program airs from 7-8:30 a.m. EST (8-9:30 a.m. CST) this Sunday, Feb. 22, on most CBS affiliates.

Norman – who is still working at the astonishing age of 94 – will compare today's movies with the movies he saw growing up in the 1920s and '30s and the movies he made with Hitchcock, Chaplin, Renoir, Milestone and many others once his own screen career began in the 1940s. The interview is apparently part of a special Oscar-morning preview.

Hope you'll tune in.

Terry Pace

P.S. I'm posting a photo of George Lindsey, Norman Lloyd and James Best from the reunion evening, Oct. 28, 2008. For other photos, check the CHFB.
"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." – Ray Bradbury

ImageJar_Reunion.jpg (79 Kb, 11 downloads)

posted Hide Post
One more photo ... in case I haven't posted this before.

Terry Pace

ImageThe_Jar_Today.jpg (168 Kb, 13 downloads)

posted Hide Post
With the passing of Collin Wilcox, I thought it might be a good idea to "bump" this topic, the event celebrating the Alfred Hitchcock Hour production of "the Jar" held at the University of North Alabama last October, to the top so that newcomers to the Board can read about the event and this great televison show.

Posts: 2460 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and to keep the info together, I'll also re-post here the link to Stephen Bowie's obituary for Collin Wilcox:

http://classictvhistory.wordpr...m/2009/10/22/collin/

And re-post a link to my own review of "The Jar", here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dear friend James Best's recently released autobiography, BearManor Media's BEST IN HOLLYWOOD: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE BEAUTIFUL (co-written with another good friend, author and entertainment historian Jim Clark, founder of the ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW RERUN WATCHERS CLUB), includes a special chapter on Jimmie's appearances on THE TWILIGHT ZONE and the two Hitchcock shows, ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS and THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR.

Jimmie devotes a considerable amount of space to "The Jar" as well as a glowing account of the "Jar" reunion we staged at the University of North Alabama back in October 2008. He and Jim also kindly printed a portrait of Jimmie, Norman Lloyd, George Lindsey and myself from that unforgettable occasion.

It's a fine Hollywood memoir, full of colorful stories about everyone from Bogie, Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda to Andy, Jerry Lewis and Burt Reynolds. It's available on Amazon.

Terry Pace