Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Terry Pace/Ray Bradbury/Norman Lloyd
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terry Pace/Ray Bradbury/Norman Lloyd
 Login/Join

posted
Sounds like a good combo to me. News of an event (in Alabama?) involving the three:

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20081003/ARTICLES/810...ther_for_celebration

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the official press release. I certainly hope that some of you (especially those of you here in the Southeast) will be able to join us here in the Muscle Shoals area of northwest Alabama. We're about two hours southwest of Nashville, two hours southeast of Memphis, two hours north of Birmingham, an hour west of Huntsville and about four hours northwest of Atlanta. I'll be glad to give any of you driving directions or hotel information.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

HOLLYWOOD LEGEND NORMAN LLOYD TO SHARE SHOW-BUSINESS MEMORIES AT UNA

FLORENCE, Ala. – The University of North Alabama Distinguished Events Series and Pillar of Fire will welcome legendary Hollywood actor, director and producer Norman Lloyd to the UNA campus for two special appearances set for Monday, Oct. 27, and Tuesday, Oct. 28.

The 93-year-old Lloyd is best known to film and television audiences for his roles as Alfred Hitchcock’s sinister SABOTEUR (1942), the kindly Dr. Auschlander in the hit medical series ST. ELSEWHERE (1982-88) and the stern headmaster in the Oscar-winning Robin Williams film DEAD POETS SOCIETY (1989). Lloyd also served as producer, director and occasional star of the long-running television anthology series ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS and THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR.

Described by fellow actor Karl Malden as “the history of our industry up to now,” Lloyd will discuss his memorable creative collaborations with Hitchcock, Charles Chaplin, Orson Welles, John Houseman, Jean Renoir, Lewis Milestone, Peter Weir, Martin Scorsese, Stephen Frears and Curtis Hanson during a special program titled “The Plummeting Man: A Conversation with Norman Lloyd.”

The free event will take place from 7-9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 27, in the Performance Center of the Guillot University Center on the UNA campus. The program – moderated by film historian Terry Pace, who teaches English at the university – will includes clips from Lloyd’s career as well as a question-and-answer session with the audience. Afterward, Lloyd will greet the public and sign copies of his 1994 book STAGES … OF LIFE IN THEATRE, FILM AND TELEVISION. Books will be available for sale that evening.

Film critic Leonard Maltin has called Lloyd “a show-business renaissance man,” adding, “What a treat to spend time in his company.” The New Yorker magazine proclaimed Lloyd “a fount of stage and movie lore, full of juice at the age of ninety-three.”

At 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 28, Lloyd and special guests James Best and UNA graduate George Lindsey will attend a Performance Center screening of “The Jar,” an Emmy-nominated 1964 episode of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR. Based on a Ray Bradbury short story, “The Jar” was directed by Lloyd and stars the late Pat Buttram (a native of the northwest Alabama town of Addison), Collin Wilcox (best known for her role as Mayella Ewell in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD), James Best, George Lindsey, Slim Pickens, Jane Darwell, William Marshall, Jocelyn Brando and Billy Barty.

“I think I’m safe in saying,” Lloyd explains, “that ‘The Jar’ was Hitchcock’s favorite show of the series.”

Originally published in the pages of the pulp magazine WEIRD TALES, Bradbury’s eerie 1944 tale of “The Jar” deals with a gullible farmer in the Louisiana bayou (played by Buttram in the ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR adaptation) who purchases a mysterious and seemingly supernatural jar from a traveling carnival sideshow. Best-selling horror author Stephen King has cited Bradbury’s terrifying tale as one of his chief creative influences, noting in his book DANSE MACABRE, “I’ve never forgotten the effect of ‘The Jar.’”

Following the Tuesday night screening, Pace will moderate a panel discussion between “Jar” director Lloyd and actors Best (well known for his roles as guitarist Jim Lindsey in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane in THE DUKES OF HAZZARD) and Lindsey (best known as Goober in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and MAYBERRY R.F.D. and host of the Emmy-winning series LIARS & LEGENDS). The three guests will be joined by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Bradbury (via telephone from his home in Los Angeles) and actress Collin Wilcox Paxton (who will participate in the discussion through a video interview filmed especially for the occasion).

“In terms of unforgettable television, ‘The Jar’ is undoubtedly one of the medium’s finest hours,” Pace observed. “That singular episode of the Hitchcock series still has a profoundly haunting effect on anyone who sees it. We’re extremely thrilled that every surviving contributor to that classic television production will be part of this reunion event in one way or another. We’re also honored that several members of Pat Buttram’s family will be with us that evening. Like George, Pat is one of our area’s native sons.”

Following the panel discussion, Lloyd, Best and Lindsey will greet the public and sign autographs. Books, photos and commemorative Pillar of Fire posters will be available for sale that evening. Bradbury and Wilcox will pre-sign several items for the occasion.

Admission is free to both events. For more information, call Pillar of Fire at (256) 366-4512, e-mail pillaroffire@bellsouth.net, or call UNA Distinguished Events at (256) 765-4208 or visit www.una.edu.

Terry Pace

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
“The Jar” was directed by Lloyd and stars the late Pat Buttram, Collin Wilcox, James Best, George Lindsey, Slim Pickens, Jane Darwell, William Marshall, Jocelyn Brando and Billy Barty.

That's not a half-bad cast at that.

quote:
Following the Tuesday night screening, Pace will moderate a panel discussion between “Jar” director Lloyd and actors Best (well known for his roles as guitarist Jim Lindsey in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane in THE DUKES OF HAZZARD) and Lindsey (best known as Goober in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and MAYBERRY R.F.D.).

The Andy Griffith Show is my favourite programme ever, and I met James Best at Mayberry Days in Mount Airy, N. C. a few years ago. He's one of the best character actors working, as is Goober Lindsey.

This is wonderful! I wish I could attend, but am stuck here in LA where nothing ever happens!

Good job, Terry!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I said back in a May 4, 2008 posting:

"'The Jar' is one of my all-time favorite episodes of THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK SHOW, one that I still have on VHS. I can vividly recall watching it as a kid when it originally aired on televison back in 1964 (I know, I'm dating myself). And what a cast: Pat Buttram (Gene Autry's old sidekick as well as Mr. Haney on GREEN ACRES), Collin Wilcox, Slim Pickens, William ("Blacula") Marshall and Jane Darwell (who was so wonderful in John Ford's film of Steinbeck's GRAPES OF WRATH). And a score by Bernard Herrmann! Add to the mix Ray's wonderfully creepy short story (screenwriter James Bridge's adaptation was nominated for an Emmy) and Mr. Lloyd's direction, and how could you miss?

And when Buttram slowly approaches Wilcox near the end, saying 'Here, kitty, kitty...'

The show genuinely scared this former youngster."

I envy all of the folks that are able to attend this event in person!

Posts: 2453 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, you've described it so well, I would love to see it. I know all the actors you mentioned and it sounds like perfect casting!
I watched a lot of Hitch, but missed this one.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BralingII, you can probably watch it online from this link:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/13941/the-jar

(The link only works in the US. Fortunately, I already have a copy of the episode, so I don't need this territorially-restricted link!)

The episode sometimes also pops up (probably illegally) on YouTube and Google Video.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the poster for the Norman Lloyd/Ray Bradbury/"Jar" Reunion events, designed by longtime Pillar of Fire artist George Chastain.

I do hope that anyone in reach of the northwest Alabama region will try to join us. Let me know if you need directions, hotel recommendations or other information.

We're visiting Collin Wilcox Paxton in North Carolina next week and will have her sign a stack of these. Ray has agreed to let me send those to him for his signature, after which he'll return them to us.

Norman, George and Jimmy Best will sign them in person. I also have a great portait of Ray, Norman and Pat Buttram around the jar prop itself (the one that now lives in Ray's basement). Ray signed twenty of those for us when we make a whirlwind "L.A. in a Day" trip out to see him last weekend.

Terry Pace

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
William, it's going to be an outstanding event and I certainly wish that I could attend being closer to your location here in Florida. However, time and lack of funds will prevent me. And so sad that Ray is not able to travel as it would be a fantastic event with Ray in attendance.

I hope, as Doug and Nard and JKT have been able to document Ray's appearances in the LA area with photos and video, that you, as well, might be able to do the same and post them on the board. We all would greatly appreciate that kindness.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved the poster for the event, especially the face on the Statue of Liberty. Anyone who knows who directed SABOTEUR, in which Mr. Lloyd's character falls from the Statue of Liberty, should easily recognize just who it is!

Posts: 2453 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shall I let the cat out of the bag?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assumed everyone knew - isn't it obvious? It looks just like him!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great poster, and it sounds like a great event.

Terry Pace, were you at the Eaton Conference in Riverside, CA in May? I was not a million miles away from you, but didn't know who you were.

(Unless it wasn't you, in which case I apologise for confusing you with someone else!)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I seem to recollect Terry and Mrs Pace being there. Yes, I would even say I'm positive of it.

They're actually in Los Angeles about as often as I am!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
We were definitely there in Riverside ... sorry we didn't meet! I have some great photos of Ray and Frederick Pohl clowning around with Mars.

If you know anyone in the Alabama-Tennessee-Mississippi region, please let them know about the "Jar" reunion at UNA. I want a packed house for Norman & Co.!

Wish all of you could join us on the 27th. I'll post photos (now that my wife has shown me how ...). In fact, here's a photo we're using to publicize the event that some of you might be interested in seeing. It's from Norman's personal collection (and not available for use without permission, of course). He's allowing us to use it for the occasion:

http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/oo266/echo1962/?acti...wRayNormanandPat.jpg

When I showed this photo to Ray at his house a couple of weeks ago, he burst into tears of joy. He pointed at himself and said, "Oh God, I don't even remember this guy!"

Ray has pre-signed 20 of these for Norman to sign for us to sell that evening. Ray and Collin are also going to pre-sign about 25 of the posters for the event.

We're off to North Carolina tomorrow to stay with Collin and her husband at their farmhouse and film an interview to be interspersed with Norman, James and George, plus Ray on the telephone from his house.

Terry Pace

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Terry Pace

posted Hide Post
I, too, have some Ray/Fred/Mars clowning photos. I guess we were standing just a few feet apart!

Nice photo of the Jar. I wonder who actually made the thing in the jar. (I read an interview with Norman Lloyd where he listed the "ingredients" that went in there, but I have never read of who put it together.)

- Phil