Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Robert Heinlein

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Heinlein
 Login/Join

posted
I believe Mr B was mentored by Robert Heinlein early in his career.

That's my justification for publicising the following link, which is to a revived discussion forum for "intelligent discussion of Robert Heinlein":

http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/NewNitroForum/

Apparently this forum died out last year because of a hosting change. It's been re-invented, but it wasn't possible to migrate the old content. So we are all invited to visit and rejuvenate it with new content!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have No Mouth and I Must Scream is one of my all-time favorite stories. Unbelievable. Heinlein was one of my favorites when I was discovering the world of science fiction, ideas, and literature in general.

OOPS. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is by another one of the masters of Science Fiction: Harlan Ellison. Sorry about that.

Heinlein definitely did write one of my favorite novels: Stranger in a Strange Land.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr D, well done on correcting your own mistake!

I, too, like IHNMAIMS by HE.

I'm not terribly well versed in Heinlein (I don't think I ever read any of his novels in their entirety), but I admire his early short stories.

(Or should that be "grok"?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talking of other writers, I just listened to a wonderful radio adaptation of "Brave New World"
with Aldous Huxley narrating and music by Bernard Herrmann!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, speaking of Bernard Herrmann, I attended a performance of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at Chicago's Orchestra Hall last Friday night, where the program was "Nightmare Romance", the film music of Bernard Herrmann. A large screen was placed above and behind the orchestra, and as the orchestra played, clips, stills or graphics from the films were shown on the screen. One of the scores played was Mr. Herrmann's beautiful music for Truffaut's version of FAHRENHEIT 451. It was wonderful to be able to hear this music in such a setting and played by such a fine orchestra.

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard~
What a fine experience on the Chicago Symphony. I always admired Herrmann from the first pieces of music I heard. Amazing when you think he wrote music for movies such as Citizen Kane all the way to Taxi Driver.

===============
On a slightly different note, here is a link to Ray speaking at the yearly Santa Barbara Writer's Conference. Last year it was $15.00 to get in to hear him speak if you haven't signed up for the general week long conference.

click on~

https://www.sbwritersconference.com/june_guest_speakers.php

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
I have No Mouth and I Must Scream is one of my all-time favorite stories. Unbelievable. Heinlein was one of my favorites when I was discovering the world of science fiction, ideas, and literature in general.

OOPS. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is by another one of the masters of Science Fiction: Harlan Ellison. Sorry about that.

Heinlein definitely did write one of my favorite novels: Stranger in a Strange Land.

I GROK it too!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Talking of other writers, I just listened to a wonderful radio adaptation of "Brave New World"
with Aldous Huxley narrating and music by Bernard Herrmann!

BralingII, tell me more! Where is this recording from?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Ray told me that Robert Heinlein had helped him to publish his first story. I have two post cards from Robert from many years ago. He was kind enough to answer my questions but in the second card he said that he was far too busy to be able to correspond. I am sure am glad that Ray hasn't felt that way ovwer the years.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With respect to BRAVE NEW WORLD and Bernard Herrmann's music, it appears the score was released on LP in 1979, and an excerpt was subsequently released on a different LP in 1986. Here is some information from the Bernard Herrmann website:

http://uib.no/herrmann/rec/r_bnw56.html

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,
This is from a collection I picked up at the local library: "The 60 Greatest Old-Time Radio Shows of the 20th Century" selected by Walter Cronkite. These are on cassette, but are now available on CD.
Here's Amazon's page on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Old-Time-Century-selecte...onkite/dp/1570192448

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard and Braling II.

I see the "Brave New World" recording BII was listening to is from CBS Radio Workshop. I think I actually have a copy of that somewhere, but I hadn't realised it used Herrman's music or Huxley's voice. I'll have to dig it out and listen to it.

CBS Radio Workshop also did a pair of Bradbury stories, and Bradbury wrote and recorded a piece of linking narration for them. If I recall correctly, that episode had music by Jerry Goldsmith (who would later collaborate with RB on Christus Apollo and Leviathan '99).

BII, I see that mammoth collection of radio shows also includes some Norman Corwin (one of Bradbury's mentor's), and a Dimension X of a Bradbury story. A good set, but at quite a steep price. I already have a lot of those recordings from elsewhere - most (or all) of them have been in the public domain for some time.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
philnic~
Speaking about Robt. Heinlein. Back in the mid 1970's, I was standing with Robert Heinlein somewheres in some science fiction convention when Gale Burnick, writer George RR Martin's then wife, was snapping away photos. Since I lost touch with George ...and Gale and George divorced, I lost track of ever locating a print or two of that moment. THAT is my entire encounter with Heinlein.

I know the old LASFS club Ray belonged to (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society) had many notables. There is that photo of smiling young Ray Bradbury standing in the club photo along with Robert Heinlein.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post