Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Time of Going Away

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Time of Going Away
 Login/Join

posted
I am on vacation in Los Angeles, and have just had the privilege of attending the world premiere of three one-act plays of Ray's stories, each dealing with the themes of aging and mortality. The name of the production is THE TIME OF GOING AWAY, and the three one-act plays are: "The Swan", "I Will Arise and Go Now", and "Death and the Maiden". It was an outstanding evening of theater, with Ray himself in attendance this evening and intoducing the performance. The production is at The Colony Theater, 722 N. La Cienega Boulevard, in West Hollywood, and runs through April 12, playing on Thursday through Saturday evenings, and on Sunday afternoons. If you live in the LA area or, like me, are planning a vacation there, it is most highly recommended!

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BRAVO! Richard....
Colony has been the place of many of Ray's previous plays.... They used to be on 1944 Riverside Dr, in LA.... Never been to the new location....The old place was next to a plumbing company, that always had 2 or 3 large mastiffs patrolling the adjacent grounds...whereby theater goers occasionally experienced a rather stirring brand of 'greeting'...

But Death and the Maiden is my absolutely favorite...Oh, good gosh, how can I zoom over there by April12th....?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that wasn't The Court Theatre you attended. I was in attendance at The Court, 722 North La Cienaga, West Hollywood (same address?) on 7/13/2002 for the opening of "Past, Present and Future", has a wonderful time and met both Ray and his wife Maggie and have the photo to proved it!
Regards

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is the Court Theatre. and I have just booked tickets for Sunday's performance.
Regards. patrask

quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Are you sure that wasn't The Court Theatre you attended. I was in attendance at The Court, 722 North La Cienaga, West Hollywood (same address?) on 7/13/2002 for the opening of "Past, Present and Future", has a wonderful time and met both Ray and his wife Maggie and have the photo to prove it!
Regards

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up patrask, I was kicking myself for missing this item as I had just been to the Colony's web site and there was no mention of it!

Here's a somewhat mixed review at the LA Times Calendar section:
http://events.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Theater-X!EventDetail-68299,00.html

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 03-28-2003).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, The Colony Theater....nonetheless, did move.... Now they are across from Ikea....in the Burbank Media Mall...
I guess those plumbing- yard Mastiffs finally got the best of everyone.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask, as you pointed out, it IS the Court Theater, not the Colony. I had the theater program right in front of me and still got the theater name wrong! Thanks for setting the record straight and lowering the frustration level caused by my mistake. I stand behind the rest of what I said...I thought the production was excellent!

posted Hide Post
I did attend the Sunday 3/30 matinee. The performances were great, the stories familar and tears flowed like wine. And best of all, Ray was there to introduce the event. Another memorable theatre experience.

posted Hide Post
I was also at the Sunday matinee on March 30, for my second viewing of the production. It was even better than the first time. And having Ray there made it even more memorable. See the play before it closes on April 12 if you have the chance!