Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Vintage inscriptions?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage inscriptions?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi folks! I just thought I'd ask around...If anyone has any vintage signatures, inscriptions, or letters from Ray that they'd be willing to sell or trade, or know someone who does, please drop me a line. I'm working on building my Ray collection in this area. By vintage, I mean pre - 1960. I've already exhausted bookfinder.com and abe.com. Thanks for any help!

Best always,
Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old do you think folks here are anyway?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Vintage" being a relative term, of course

posted Hide Post
I don't have anything pre-60's. My signature was obtained in person, talking with him when I bought the big collection of his stories. Although I don't want to appear ungracious, the only way you would get my signature would be to pry this book from my cold, hard fingers! (How did that expression go? I guess I really am getting old!)

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark-

It's OK, and I understand - I have hardback, autographed 1st US editions of almost all of Ray's major books...over 45, at last count, some signed to me, others that I picked up from booksellers that he signed at various times throughout the course of his career up to this point. Needless to say, I wouldn't let any of them go for just about anything. I'm just looking to branch out, is all. It's a great deal of fun, and puts me in touch with other lovers of his works!

Best,
Greg

posted Hide Post
What Can I say? I'm jealous. I only have one signed book, a great personal encounter, and a ticket stub from a lecture.

Now I'm depressed. . .

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am a collector of signed first editions. I have a collection rivaling yours Greg, with about 50 signed books, and some other signed ephemeral items (such as letters, postcards, etc.).

My most prized item (if I can make such a distinction) is a signed copy of WHO KNOCKS?, an anthology, edited by August Derleth, containing Ray's story "The Lake." Aside from Ray's signing it for me, it is significant in that, it is the first appearance in book form of any of Ray's stories, and (according to the story Ray told me when signing the book), it is because of this book that he met his wife.

As the story goes - when the book first was available, he went to a local bookstore to purchase a copy, and was smitten by the clerk behind the counter. Long story short - that clerk became his wife.

I thought that was such a great story, that the book (despite being an anthology) instantly moved to the head of the class.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrisman,

I think collecting ephemera can be just as fun, in many respects. A few months ago I found and was lucky enough to acquire Ray B's original rewrite draft of 'The Wilderness,' signed by him twice in 1952, and with all of his handwritten corrections...Also included was a 1 1/2 page ending that was never published!

Mr. Dark-

There's no reason to be depressed! One personal encounter with Ray is worth a thousand signatures, in my opinion. In fact, it's priceless.

All best,
Greg

posted Hide Post
I am also a Ray Braadbury collector. I have accumulated nearly an entire collection of all his works, signed first editions. I have a few extras. Would anyone be intersted in a list for trade or sale?

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starting a special sales/trade thread under whichever forum seems most appropriate would probably be a good idea, as long as it's understood the website is not responsible for any unsatisfactory transactions.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have over 500 pristine signed 1st editions of all of Ray's works, including a number of manuscripts that he refuses to publish. He says they are too good for the world to see yet. I frequently sit with Ray at his home and we share brandy together; it's then that he tells me stories he's yet to put on paper. He asked me once to kiss each of his daughters, so I obliged. One week, Ray even let me *be* him. It was incredible. I shook hands with Bob Heinlein, Prof. Asimov, Harlan Ellison...not even Forry Ackerman realized that I wasn't really Ray. During that week, I actually wrote Fahrenheit 451, but since I was Ray, I had to let him keep the credit. We came up with the story about the pay-by-hour typewriter at UCLA as a cover.

Posts: 22 | Location: San Pedro, CA | Registered: 05 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask-

I'd love a list.

Thanks!

Greg

posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in a list, also. It would have to be to buy (as I have nothing to trade), and, as Dandelion hints, I'd want to know the "material" is reliable. As Reagan used to say, "Trust but verify".

posted Hide Post
Well, hello there,

I, too, have sat with Ray in his living room, on a couple of occasions, and briefly met with him in his kitchen on two others when he had just called a cab. But I never was asked to be him. And the last time I was their it was with my two daughters and my wife. He didn't kiss them, but did pose with all three with his arms around them. I took photos, and then my wife took one of Ray and I. I got duplicates, sent one set to him, and promptly lost the other set. How do you like those beans.

The first thing that I had signed by Ray was three paperbacks back in March of 1967 when I found him in an art store with Marguerite and one of his daughters after being informed by another daughter as to their whereabouts and the cab driver knew where the art store was.

Like a dummy, remember losing the photos, I loaned out two of the signed paperbacks and never had them returned.

Over the years I exchanged letters with Ray (even when I was in Vietnam) and have all of them. I have a number of books (albeit not first editions) signed by Ray and should send another load out to him to sign. What I really enjoy about Ray's signing is that he often illustrates as well.

I even have an envelope (well actually a couple) where he has drawn on the outside.

The real story about how he meat Marguerite is told by Marguerite on the video Ray Bradbury: An American Icon. She indeed was a clerk in a bookstore, but Ray, wearing a large overcoat with big pockets, was thought to be stealing books by the bookstore owner and Marguerite was tasked with keeping an eye out on Ray.

I haven't called Ray for a while but should. The last time he indictated that he was hanging in there health wise.

But what a neat guy. And as I have pointed out before, he is so more outgoing than the other famous author I knew, Richard Bach, who was the one who gave me Ray's address in the first place.

It would just be nice if Ray would forever, contunue to create such neat stories.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hereby apologise for misspelled words and poor grammar in my last posting, I just wish that this message board had a "preview" feature so that I would't have to make a foool of myself, see what I mean?

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post