Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New title for forthcoming Bradbury collection

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New title for forthcoming Bradbury collection
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 71 | Registered: 01 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice anecdotes!! The RB relationship is timeless.

I just read a major portion of this S.W. narration to my sophomore classes currently involved in an idependent reading / critical writing unit. The first portion of their assignment includes a biographic overview of the author's life (youth, family, education, travels, inspirations to begin writing, and present works-activities-ambitions).

So, this Sam Weller "Echoes" site is the "cat's pajamas!" I especially like the travel back in time to grade 3 and the nine year old boy being dropped off by his loving mom. A touch of the Romani storyteller in Chicago Abyss, as he recalls "...fireworks. Kazoos. School House Rock. Speed Racer. Beanbag chairs. Pinball machines and spaghetti and meatballs and trips to Oxnard for Mexican food. Air shows at Point Magu. Ice plant and Santa Ana winds. Snow cones and skateboards and the Beach Boys and Happy Days." "Great Stuff," to quote Mr. B.

In any event, thanks for the "unexpected lesson plan," echoes and Mr. Weller. As a teacher, I always hope my students look back from time to time and remember turning the pages in my room or recalling a personal pat-on-the-back note left to them on an original story or poem they had created long ago!
f

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Point Mugu. Where I spent the last three years of my military career (and will be returning in mere weeks!)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear fjp451--

Thank you so much for sharing my essay with your class. Very, very kind of you. Sounds like a great assignment you gave them. In any event, I really appreciate you sharing this anecdote.

Doug Spaulding--

Wow. Three years at Point Mugu. Thank you for your service!

I have such found autumnal memories of going up there each year. Went back with my dad when I was a little older in '81. I'd love to take him back once more for old times sake.

Happy Halloween to everyone! I will post a special Bradburian Halloween picture on my blog today at www.listentotheechoes.com

Best to everyone here for a happy and safe day.

Sam Weller

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sam Weller,

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Weller,
I have your two RB's, Chronicles and Echoes, signed via the great folks at Mystery and Imagination. I have been at the English desk for many years having highlighted, at last count, over one hundred of his works in my classes 9-12 during my tenure (here in far Northern NY State).

Your accounts of Mr. B's life have proved to be insightful, nostalgic, and succinct. The hometown of my youth was so much like Green Town (simply replace "Green" with "Water"), so reading and recounting never fail to hit a chord. As a teen my first RB read was a chance selection of Golden Apples of the Sun. This found on a rotating book rack after being sent to the library by a task master nun who thought I was not using study hall time appropriately. (Wise woman!)

In any event, a year ago after a cross-country train trip to CA to experience Mr. B's 89th and Yestermorrow plays, our family traveled the coast to Malibu, the exact region your article describes. Your reminiscence of that 9 year old you still are and the parting words of a mother's love have a real Bradburian sense to them. How could your pen not be touched!?

I found myself slowing down the reading of your RB bio and talks, for concern I would arrive too soon at the final page. I did a similar slower page turn technique when I was reading Green Shadows, White Whale, while we completed a full tour of the Gaspe Peninsula a dozen or so years ago. Ironically, just this past week prior to sending Mr. Bradbury our annual Halloween package (re: card w/ signatures from our boys, my classes, and other recent stuff I always hope he likes), I located a picture I had taken on that summer trip.

I sent a copy of the photo to Mr. Bradbury upon our return. The image was of a colorful road sign pointing to a forest pass where, if followed, a mountain lake would be found. The name? Lake Marguerite!

Metaphors and magic! The above "lesson" I mentioned of your writing was read aloud but also displayed from my computer to the display screen via the now ever-present room projectors. The visuals did add to the students' keen interest. BTW, I can actually still use this quite skillfully:
http://www.digitalinspire.com/...chan/potd/070829.jpg
More work at some time, Mr. Weller? Perhaps to conclude an RB trilogy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451--

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful thoughts and memories. I also appreciate your kind words about my books.

Funny you should conclude your post with the mention of a "Bradbury Trilogy." I am doing precisely that. And while I cannot divulge much info as of yet, I can say that this book will include fiction and it has the complete commitment and involvement of Ray. I expect to make an announcement on this project after the new year, after my agent has shopped it to publishers. Quite possible that William Morrow will do this book as they did with the Bradbury Chronicles. We shall see.

Finally, if any of you should be near Oberlin, Ohio this Wednesday, I'm delivering three presentations on Bradbury, including a lecture at Oberlin College. Hope to see some of you.

Yrs,

Prof. Sam Weller

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prof. Weller, if your sojourns in discussing and celebrating Mr. B ever take route to the Empire State, be sure to offer a "heads up" here. I'd be be greatly inclined to attend the event! Thanks.
f

posted Hide Post
And Frank, hopefully Weller wouldn't pull the crap that he pulled on me when he appeared at the Miami book fair. An odd duck fair to say despite his talents.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post