Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Phoenix 451; Gauntlet Press Scores Again!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phoenix 451; Gauntlet Press Scores Again!
 Login/Join

posted
Received my 2022 Fathers’ Day gift in the mail today. It was the Gauntlet Press Limited Edition of Ray Bradbury’s Phoenix 451. Hats off to Barry Hoffman for this 833 page treasure! I know that I will enjoy each and every page. Did a quick glance of the book, and do not wish to spoil any of the surprises, including interesting details of Ray’s front cover art. Hats off also are due to Elizabeth Nahum-Albright, Donn Albright, and Dara Hoffman-Fox, for their efforts in creating this work.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my copy of the lettered edition of PHOENIX 451, with three additional unpublished Ray Bradbury stories. One story, "Miss Remembrance", appears to be missing a few pages from its middle (very likely lost), but the beginning and ending sections tell you the story: if a town's records were destroyed in a fire...with an elderly woman resident the only person with knowledge of all of the town's history...what would happen to the town if that woman died? The other two unpublished stories, "The Pterodactyls" and "The Book" are complete, and both are fine stories, proving that there is indeed unpublished Bradbury very worthy of publication. To echo greenray's previous posting, well done, Gauntlet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was also happy with the lettered edition of PHOENIX 451. Easily the most expensive book I ever bought, and I ordered the lettered edition solely because it had those 3 previously unpublished Bradbury stories. That's how desperate I am to read new Bradbury stories!
I thought "The Pterodactyls" was top-notch and I'm surprised it was never published. "Miss Remembrance" was definitely incomplete, but sometimes Ray wrote first drafts where the middle section was missing simply because he hadn't figured that part out (similar to "The Shop of Mechanical Insects"). "The Book" was somewhat predictable but well-written and definitely worth publishing. Kudos to Gauntlet for their persistence in trying to publish new Bradbury work. I wish the Bradbury estate would take the hint, realize there is demand for another story collection, and authorize a new collection of his stories.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 29 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post